Strange PSU buzzing tied to HDD!?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:28 am

I have buzzing also tied to activity in bios and also tied in to hd activity in windows and in post.

Powersupply is an SuperFlower. I have chanced a fan thou.

PenDragon

Post by PenDragon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Well, I can safely say that I will probably never buy from Seasonic again. The new "guaranteed not to buzz" power supply buzzes just as bad as the one I returned. Plus I wasted my time, and money on shipping.

Seasonic will be hearing from me soon, as I attempt to convince them to refund my shipping charges and buy back the unit from me. I'm not a particularly litigious person (ok, not really litigious at all), but it says "silent" right on the box, and that's false advertising. So for others of you with this problem, don't fall for Seasonic's "guarantee".

I think that Seasonic is using a part that is causing problems with an increasingly large number of motherboards, and they're either going to have to fix the problem very soon, or they'll have a tarnished image on their hands.

Good luck to everyone else...

sslamster

Post by sslamster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:52 pm

PenDragon - don't forget that many of the ANTEC SU380 PS's are made by Seasonic and they are having the same problems. I agree, ANTEC and Seasonic need to step up and fix the problem, or at least acknowledge it in the first place. ANTEC doesn't even acknowledge the problem, heck they didn't even realize that Seasonic makes a ton of their power supplies. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order...

sslamster

Post by sslamster » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Well, I just received a few ANTEC SU-380's back from ANTEC through the RMA process. Interesting to note is that these supplies are labeled SU380 SF. I don't quite know what the SF designation means, anyone?

I guess we'll see if these buzz, too. If they do then I am going to confer with my attorney regarding initiating a class action lawsuit.

PenDragon

Update

Post by PenDragon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:43 pm

I emailed the Seasonic tech support guy explaining that the new PSU also buzzed, and I pretty much let him know that I was not happy at all. He sent me another one, and a prepaid UPS label for returning the buzzing one. I just installed it 30 minutes ago, and so far, no buzzing at all. I've got my fingers crossed.... I"ll let you guys know if it does start buzzing on me.

Lamster- any new "buzz" from your camp?

sslamster

Post by sslamster » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:17 pm

To be honest I haven't even had the time to test out these SU-380SF's yet, although I am anxious to see if they do buzz.

So I think we can safely say that there was a problem with the production or the sourcing of parts used for the SU-380 & SS380 PS's. I'll keep you updated as soon as I put one of these new supplies into a case.

charden

Post by charden » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I was also getting buzzing before I would power the system only the psu would be on and it would buzz and today the fans died after hearing some popping/cracking noises. My psu is an antec sp 2.0 500w

waltereo

what was the problem ???

Post by waltereo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:56 am

hi,

So finally what was the problem ? a bad production batch ?

Pendragon - what is the non-defective model you got finally ?

Thanks

garfnon

Post by garfnon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:58 am

Bump

@Pendragon: I'd like to know how the new one fared. I have the S12-600 and am currently in the RMA process with the same problem. I'm wondering if it's worth my time and money, or if I should just get a new PSU.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:11 pm

I listened to your recording - I'm not sure if I would call that a buzz, sounds like a high-pitched whine to me. Anyways I feel your pain.

kike_1974

Post by kike_1974 » Thu May 17, 2007 5:03 am

Bump

How did these stories ended up? Did the RMAs solve the buzzing problems? Or were they solved by switching to new models? (or maybe you haven't found a solution yet)

Please, update your posts so that we can know the ending of these stories :)

PenDragon

Post by PenDragon » Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Hey guys, sorry for my lack of follow-up- 50 lashes with a wet noodle for me. In my defense, I haven't been getting my thread subscription emails for some reason :? .

The new power supply that I mentioned in my post on March 30 has been running great. I don't notice any buzz at all. It's a Seasonic S12-380W. I'm with sslamster in that there was probably a bad batch. For those of you also going through this problem, I recommend following up with Seasonic and Antec, rather than just buying a new PSU. With Seasonic at least, they were willing to keep RMA'ing until I got a working unit, and I only got zapped for shipping the first time around.

Good luck!

dejsti

Post by dejsti » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:44 pm

PenDragon, did you have any problems re-RMA'ing your power supply through the seasonic online form? i've tried it, and for some reason it wont give me a new RMA number, telling me that the item has already been through RMA.

I've been emailing seasonic for around 2 weeks now with no replies...

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:28 pm

The buzzing has something to do with the motherboard telling the PSU how many watts it needs, or something like that. My last motherboard, the PSU was dead silent. I put an intel mobo in today and all of a sudden my power supply is freaking out. Kind of annoyed. Fvcking PSU vendors need to get around to fixing coil buzzing in next generation PSUs

PenDragon

Post by PenDragon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:54 pm

dejsti- I was in direct email contact with Seasonic's main support guy, so he took care of the RMA process for me. During the first RMA, I was told to send an email to him, so I got his email address from my Sent Items and then just sent a new email to him. Is that something you can do?

jaldridge- I agree that the motherboard has something to do with the buzzing, considering that the buzzing PSUs didn't buzz on my other stystems.