Seasonic S12 430: a shrill implement of torture?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Oscillator

Seasonic S12 430: a shrill implement of torture?

Post by Oscillator » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:01 am

Hi, new here seeking some advice.

As a musician who managed to habituate a debilitating spell of tinnitus a few years back, I hapened upon this site some time ago in search of a relatively tacit PSU(for obvious reasons), where a particularly glowing review recommended unto me the Seasonic S12 430 as one of the more celebrated models under consideration.

Imagine my dismay when no sooner did I install my new S12 then my freakin' ears were assailed by a shrill sonic maelstrom(overstated, perhaps)!

Yes, that's right!

My S12's ambient spectrum was *more* disruptive/invasive then the lowly Aopen 300W I had swapped it out for.

At first I thought it merely emitted a signal to which I was acoustically hyper-sensetive(being unacquainted with other *quiet* PSU's).

But after re-auditioning the MP3's furnished in the review(along with other relative observations), I cannot escape the conclusion(and if I am wrong, then please forgive my neophyte conjecture) that the S12's 'smart' fan is for some reason ramping up to max(or beyond) almost immediately!

(Note that my presiding rig is about as modest as a contemporary PC can get: 645 Ultra MB, P4 1.6A, 512 DDR 333, G4 4400 AGP, 80GB HD, 52x CD-Rom, SB Live 5.1, Powercore PCI - an approx 500 MIPS Motorola DSP card for music production, and therefor never under stress-loads at the same time as the vid card)

Some 8 mos into it's arrested tenure I became so disheartened with it's acoustical amplitude/performance(having aggravated my latent tinnitus on occasion) that I stored it away in it's original packaging, where it has been ignominiously residing for the past 4 mos.

I have read allusions to coil-whine, and while it may have exhibited symptoms that denote such an assessment, the 'smart' fan's errant behavior is unequivocal(doesn't appear to scale in magnitude)!

The advent of an imminent upgrade period(just got a Radeon x1950 AGP to match with a 755-A2 MB, A64 3700, and a gig of DDR 400 I have lying around) has prompted me to revisit my PSU quandary.

I know some one with an Apevia AS500W(which seems a definite improvement, and is otherwise serviceable for my needs) which I must now consider if my resolve is to be tempered under a stark aegis of empiricism.

Of course, I could always dig out my receipt from NCIX and RMA the S12 direct to Seasonic(maybe someone can recount their experience for my benefit), given that I still feel cheated for having been deprived so long(through my own indolence perhaps - I procured my S12 almost exactly 1 year ago) of what I paid for: a quieter PSU.

Please advise.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:03 am

if my resolve is to be tempered under a stark aegis of empiricism.
Say what now?! :shock: :wink:

Yeah, you should RMA the S12, sounds like the fan controller is not working as it should. It would help if you could describe the layout and airflow arrangement in your case.

mantralord

Post by mantralord » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:32 am

creative writing on the internet: waste

Oscillator

Post by Oscillator » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 am

Yeah, I've been poking around this forum abit and now have a better idea of what to scrutinize(like airflow clutter, exhaust temp, etc.) when I put my new system together(maybe this weekend).

Right now my sys temp is hovering around 37C with the Aopen 300W(not sure if that implies something negative for so modest a spec - maybe my case runs really hot, given that I employ *no* auxiliary case-fans for cooling), but I do seem to recall that it ran hotter with the S12(unfortunately, I can't remember the exact differential).

If the S12 fan is still exhibiting symptoms as though under a stasis of maximal load(and if it is simply a case of excessive ambient temps ramping up the fan, perhaps someone can give me an idea of an optimal system temp to shoot for), I'll try to post more detailed and comprehensive information.

binary visions

Post by binary visions » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:46 am

mantralord wrote:creative writing on the internet: waste
Ah, yes, God forbid someone wish to express themselves in a coherent and humorous manner, instead of clipped and unpleasant "internet speak" (such as your post, which was both grammatically incorrect and curt).

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:16 am

binary visions wrote:
mantralord wrote:creative writing on the internet: waste
Ah, yes, God forbid someone wish to express themselves in a coherent and humorous manner, instead of clipped and unpleasant "internet speak" (such as your post, which was both grammatically incorrect and curt).
If you want to play the grammar card, your post was incorrect as well. ("God forbid someone wish")

No offence to the OP, but there are many incorrect or incomprehensible usages in his post, for example:
As a musician who managed to habituate a debilitating spell of tinnitus...tinnitus is not a habit but an illness

I hapened upon this site....sp

in search of a relatively tacit PSU...he means quiet

recommended unto me ...archaic

my presiding rig...makes no sense

if my resolve is to be tempered under a stark aegis of empiricism....meaningless
Sure, if you think using obscure words in unusual or obsolete senses constitutes literary greatness, by all means applaud away. :roll:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:46 am

Let's stay on topic, please. :o

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:12 am

Oscillator... Welcome to SPCR !!! 8)

Good to have you aboard. :D

Hope you have a good stay. 8)

Regards
Pete

To the rest of the posters:

Live a little People, it's not life or death...
Therefore it doesn't really matter. :wink:

P.S. Oscillator, Pray carry on with your posting style... I enjoy it... and am not erudite enough to know whether it's right or wrong... so I enjoy it anyways..... :wink:

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:26 pm

Oscillator wrote:Right now my sys temp is hovering around 37C with the Aopen 300W(not sure if that implies something negative for so modest a spec - maybe my case runs really hot, given that I employ *no* auxiliary case-fans for cooling), but I do seem to recall that it ran hotter with the S12(unfortunately, I can't remember the exact differential).
You're saying you have no case fans at all? That'd be my first recommendation to help keep things cool.

And yes - it sounds like you've got a faulty S12. RMA it to get a proper one. :)

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Oscillator wrote:Right now my sys temp is hovering around 37C with the Aopen 300W(not sure if that implies something negative for so modest a spec - maybe my case runs really hot, given that I employ *no* auxiliary case-fans for cooling), but I do seem to recall that it ran hotter with the S12(unfortunately, I can't remember the exact differential).
- Nick kind of beat me to it, but I'll continue my post anyways -

The "no auxiliary" fan concerns me. So your PSU is your only fan exhausting the warm air out of the case? If so, that could explain the fan ramping up. Although you said "immediately". If the PSU is your only exhaust, it should ramp up eventually, but probably not immediately.

Let's assume it's eventually at the moment. Your old PSU probably runs faster and blows more air at it's lowest level. So it's able to get the warm air out of your case before it starts to build up. The S12 on the other hand with it's "smart fan control", spins the fan at very low speeds to start. Meaning it may not be able to get the warm air out of the case fast enough causing it to build up. Finally, it reaches a point where the "smart" fan kicks the fan in to cool everything down. Which after that, it'll probably spin back down again..... then back up.... and down. You get the picture.

That's why many people try to isolate their PSU from the rest of the PC to avoid this. A single slow case fan could help this alot.

Oscillator

Update.

Post by Oscillator » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:48 am

It would help if you could describe the layout and airflow arrangement in your case.
Sorry, my case is one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2wpx7e
If the PSU is your only exhaust, it should ramp up eventually, but probably not immediately.
But it's true - the PSU's fan does not seem to ramp up or ease down from the moment it is first engaged during power-on.
A single slow case fan could help this alot.
I have tried employing a generic case fan along with one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2cnuwd

But neither imparts a discerable change in amplitude - the rate at which the fan spins seems fixed over time, regardless.

I guess it is a candidate for RMA(I wish I scrutinized this a month ago - then I could go through NCIX instead of being forced to contact Seasonic directly).

Oscillator

Post by Oscillator » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:15 am

tinnitus is not a habit but an illness
http://tinyurl.com/2lrrmd

I think I know something of tinnitus...
my presiding rig...makes no sense
Although valid, you're right; it all sounds very silly.

I should have referred to it as my extant configuration. ;)

I regret writing that.

Sorry...
if my resolve is to be tempered under a stark aegis of empiricism....meaningless
I'm not sure my apparent faux pax even constitutes a mixed-metaphor, let alone the near idiomatic proportions I might otherwise infer from your reaction.

Sorry to be the author of so much bitter contention, but please do try to indulge my abtruse - though innocuous - sesquipedalian styling. ;)

Oscillator

Post by Oscillator » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 am

well, by such an arbitrary meter, any given action can be differentially construed as 'wasteful', by how its costs scale across a broad spectra of emergent energy niches. :P

EsaT

Re: Update.

Post by EsaT » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:43 am

Oscillator wrote:Sorry, my case is one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2wpx7e
Aopen HQ7.

You should at least first remove those hole plates which prevent 8cm fans above PSU from working.

Then there would be space for 12cm input fan in front of the case. Also motherboard tray could take two 6cm fans. (not that those would help much with low enough RPMs)
I have tried employing a generic case fan along with one of these: http://tinyurl.com/2cnuwd
Now that doesn't do anything else than add noise.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:11 am

I also used to use this case (look here) and I was also somewhat annoyed by the lack of exhaust fan options....

in any case, have you made sure it is the seasonic s12's fan?
try to take a drinking straw and stick it in through the fan grill to stop the fan, and see if the noise persists. if not it's coil whine, and your best bet would be an RMA.

mantralord

Post by mantralord » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:20 pm

Oscillator wrote:
well, by such an arbitrary meter, any given action can be differentially construed as 'wasteful', by how its costs scale across a broad spectra of emergent energy niches. :P
who are you calling emergent!? :evil:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:06 pm

a broad spectra of emergent energy niches.
'spectra' should be singular, not plural (ie a broad spectrum of ...). Honestly, if you're going to employ a prolix style, at least get it right.

PS. to mods, this is the last of my offtopicness, I promise.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:13 pm

English is not my native language, but this is the first time in years I have to reach for a dictionary every other sentence.
Finally, some words I never heard before :wink:

nici

Post by nici » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Well start getting used to that Mr. Spookypants :lol:

Oscillator

Post by Oscillator » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:45 am

'spectra' should be singular, not plural (ie a broad spectrum of ...). Honestly, if you're going to employ a prolix style, at least get it right.
Must you persist in venting your hostility behind a pretext of spurious argument?

http://tinyurl.com/2n3sox

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Wow, this thread feels like getting my regular dose of this page:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Where the various musings of one of the co-authors, although amusing, sometimes becomes nearly incomprehensible... Reading this page helps me alleviate any worry that I tend to make my sentences "overwrought" sometimes! :P

FWIW, welcome to SPCR though. :)

acyf

Post by acyf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:34 pm

omg please...a language is here for communication not confusion...use simple words...and let's your creativity shine elsewhere...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Seasonic S12 430: a shrill implement of torture?

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 am

Oscillator wrote:Hi, new here seeking some advice.

As a musician who managed to habituate a debilitating spell of tinnitus a few years back, I hapened upon this site some time ago in search of a relatively tacit PSU(for obvious reasons), where a particularly glowing review recommended unto me the Seasonic S12 430 as one of the more celebrated models under consideration.

Imagine my dismay when no sooner did I install my new S12 then my freakin' ears were assailed by a shrill sonic maelstrom(overstated, perhaps)!

Yes, that's right!

My S12's ambient spectrum was *more* disruptive/invasive then the lowly Aopen 300W I had swapped it out for.

At first I thought it merely emitted a signal to which I was acoustically hyper-sensetive(being unacquainted with other *quiet* PSU's).

But after re-auditioning the MP3's furnished in the review(along with other relative observations), I cannot escape the conclusion(and if I am wrong, then please forgive my neophyte conjecture) that the S12's 'smart' fan is for some reason ramping up to max(or beyond) almost immediately!

(Note that my presiding rig is about as modest as a contemporary PC can get: 645 Ultra MB, P4 1.6A, 512 DDR 333, G4 4400 AGP, 80GB HD, 52x CD-Rom, SB Live 5.1, Powercore PCI - an approx 500 MIPS Motorola DSP card for music production, and therefor never under stress-loads at the same time as the vid card)

Some 8 mos into it's arrested tenure I became so disheartened with it's acoustical amplitude/performance(having aggravated my latent tinnitus on occasion) that I stored it away in it's original packaging, where it has been ignominiously residing for the past 4 mos.

I have read allusions to coil-whine, and while it may have exhibited symptoms that denote such an assessment, the 'smart' fan's errant behavior is unequivocal(doesn't appear to scale in magnitude)!

The advent of an imminent upgrade period(just got a Radeon x1950 AGP to match with a 755-A2 MB, A64 3700, and a gig of DDR 400 I have lying around) has prompted me to revisit my PSU quandary.

I know some one with an Apevia AS500W(which seems a definite improvement, and is otherwise serviceable for my needs) which I must now consider if my resolve is to be tempered under a stark aegis of empiricism.

Of course, I could always dig out my receipt from NCIX and RMA the S12 direct to Seasonic(maybe someone can recount their experience for my benefit), given that I still feel cheated for having been deprived so long(through my own indolence perhaps - I procured my S12 almost exactly 1 year ago) of what I paid for: a quieter PSU.

Please advise.
Stop the fan. Does it still make any noise? If it does sent it back. Of course if you really want to get hammered you should go to a TV repair shop. The 15 KHz flyback is murder.

I'd be glad if that happened to me. It means the frequency response of your hearing is still intact.

Be aware you now have essentially a builtin 24/7 blood pressure meter. Now matter what, stay calm.

Aris