New 80+ modular Nexus power supplies

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Erssa

New 80+ modular Nexus power supplies

Post by Erssa » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:15 pm

http://www.nexustek.nl/nx8040_80plus_mo ... supply.htm

http://www.nexustek.nl/nx8050_80plus_mo ... supply.htm

http://www.nexustek.nl/nx8060_80plus_mo ... supply.htm

Ok, I have to say they sound very promising. Nexus list all models with a different idle noise levels, with the 500W model listed as low as 17.6 dba.

I hope endpcnoise.com decides to send a sample to SPCR.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Ticks lots of boxes that SPCRer's are looking for:

Modular
80%+ efficient
credible low-noise measurement
sleeved cables

has the potential to be #1 SPCR Recommended PSU if stats are true. My only concern is whether Nexus interpretation of "80plus" is the same as the 80plus organisation, ie 80% at 20/50/100% load. Also no price yet?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:18 pm

I only know local pricing 95/116/133 euros for 400/500/600W models respectively. That makes them cheap. For example 520W Corsair sells for 130 euros here and 600W Corsair for 185 euros. M12-600 is 195 euros here. Compared to those prices the 600W sounds like a bargain. But time will tell. We need to know how the fan controller works.

A quote from nexus:
"Nexus NX-8050 produces only 17,6 dB(A) in idle mode*.

* Notice:
When we test the noise level of our power supplies we do this in an ISO-certified chamber for noise tests. It is important to know that the background noise in such a chamber is a little over 15 dB(A). These are the best possible conditions for these tests and hence you should always be aware when a manufacturer is claiming dB(A) values that are lower then 15 dB(A). Because how where they able to measure this? We provide the real figures, from the actual tests. Can it get any more reliable…? Judge for your self."

Wow, words of truth from a manufacturer...

kaange

Post by kaange » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:37 pm

jaganath wrote: My only concern is whether Nexus interpretation of "80plus" is the same as the 80plus organisation, ie 80% at 20/50/100% load.
Since they don't claim 80+ certification, I'd doubt it. Still, if they only miss out by a small percentage (like the Antec Neo 430), the other features are enough to make it a real contender for most systems (assuming the noise levels are anywhere near what they claim).

Pace

Post by Pace » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:35 am

The casing seems identical to the Zalman ZM600 PSU, so my bet would be that they're manufactured by FSP like the older Nexus's. Given they don't have heatpipe cooling and very likely have a different fan we can only hope for the best until some decent reviews are made.

kater

Post by kater » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:07 am

Indeed, it does look like FSP, which is good (see BeQuiet Straight Power or Amacrox). The four 12V rails also look good (even though its probably done for commercial & certificate pursposes) -very much like in the Zalman Pace mentioned. The modular cables system looks the same too. And it's black - like SPCR's fave S12 or P180 toys. Which obviously means helluva lot.
Good thing they had a go at explaining the dB measurement procedure. They could have said at what distance it's measured. 1m? 2m?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:04 am

Pace wrote:The casing seems identical to the Zalman ZM600 PSU, so my bet would be that they're manufactured by FSP like the older Nexus's. Given they don't have heatpipe cooling and very likely have a different fan we can only hope for the best until some decent reviews are made.
Good call. Zalman had better efficiency curve then Corsair 520W, so that is promising. Zalman also run pretty cool, but it's hard to tell how much of coolness was due to heat pipes. Too bad Nexus isn't know for sending out samples for review, I really hope endpcnoise.com comes to resque like with previous Nexus samples and sends sample(s) to SPCR asap. Frankly only the 500W review is interesting as the other models are rated louder by Nexus.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

looks very promising. if it's not already released, when will it be?

mvanderjagt
-- Vendor --

Extra info on these PSU's

Post by mvanderjagt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:31 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for discussing these items and discussing the questions you have after reading the info on the web.

I can confirm to you that these PSU's have a 80% or higher efficiency at all loads. This info is added to the website.

And a illustration is also published showing the testing-set up for the noise level tests.

Any more suggestions are welcome.. :-)

Nexus Technology

Sooty

Re: Extra info on these PSU's

Post by Sooty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:54 pm

mvanderjagt wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for discussing these items and discussing the questions you have after reading the info on the web.

I can confirm to you that these PSU's have a 80% or higher efficiency at all loads. This info is added to the website.

And a illustration is also published showing the testing-set up for the noise level tests.

Any more suggestions are welcome.. :-)

Nexus Technology
Hi,

Do you intend sending samples, for SPCR to test?

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi people,

I think these manufacturers need to be praised for trying to be as truthful as possible in the faint world of marketing:
Nexus, Scythe, Seasonic and Aerocase (Thermalright too?)

Hanze Technical Institute,
Study: Mechanical Engineering

P.S. See? Dutch people rule! :D

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 pm

s_xero wrote:Hi people,

I think these manufacturers need to be praised for trying to be as truthful as possible in the faint world of marketing:
Nexus, Scythe, Seasonic and Aerocase (Thermalright too?)

Hanze Technical Institute,
Study: Mechanical Engineering

P.S. See? Dutch people rule! :D
Indeed! Gotta fight off all the FUD and fake specs from companies like Silenx.(when will they stop advertising 9dba fans and get legit?) Buy your products from the good companies!!

mvanderjagt
-- Vendor --

PSU for review to SPCR

Post by mvanderjagt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 pm

Yep, We will be happy to arrange some samples to be send to SPCR. Do not worry! (probably in April)

[ I am glad I found some fellows on the battle agains fake dB(A) values!] ;-)

cienislaw

Post by cienislaw » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:17 am

mate, this forum is all about real dB values;-) it will be nice to see how nexus power supplies performs in spcr lab.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:46 am

mvanderjagt - Nice to see a Nexus rep here on the forum. I think that makes:
Aerocase
Antec
Silverstone
Nexus
have reps on the forum now. I think what sets SPCR apart is that manufacturers pay attention to it!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:23 am

Chris Chan wrote:mvanderjagt - Nice to see a Nexus rep here on the forum. I think that makes:
Aerocase
Antec
Silverstone
Nexus
have reps on the forum now. I think what sets SPCR apart is that manufacturers pay attention to it!
I think mCubed might also have a rep here.
Erssa wrote:Too bad Nexus isn't know for sending out samples for review
mvanderjagt wrote:Yep, We will be happy to arrange some samples to be send to SPCR. Do not worry! (probably in April)
I'm glad to see I was wrong.

Arvo

Re: Extra info on these PSU's

Post by Arvo » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:34 am

mvanderjagt wrote:I can confirm to you that these PSU's have a 80% or higher efficiency at all loads. This info is added to the website.
At 40W load? At load in entire range from 40-100W? Would be really cool :)

Well, I know that this is practically impossible (80% efficiency at 40W for 600W PSU), but let's wait for SPCR samples and testing. 80% at 100W would be very good result anyway.

kenyee

latest PCI-E graphics card connector?

Post by kenyee » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:43 am

Does this have the latest weird 8-pin PCI-E graphics card connector? I think they added more power pins for the giant space heaters (a.k.a. G80, SB600 :-)

And the NX-8050 looks like it's the quietest. Sign me up for one if it fits into a Q-Xpack :-) Can you even get these yet? I can't find them w/ Froogle...

stigmata

Post by stigmata » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:13 am

Seems great, and I like Nexus.
I think I'll wait a little more for my new psu, now the choice is between this and the HX520.

Erssa

Re: latest PCI-E graphics card connector?

Post by Erssa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:40 am

kenyee wrote:Can you even get these yet? I can't find them w/ Froogle...
One supplier here has listed availability as 26.3.2007, so I guess they'll be out in two weeks (in Finland).

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 am

I doubt that date. The Nexus website has the release date listed as April 7th

mvanderjagt
-- Vendor --

Post by mvanderjagt » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:28 am

The date is April 07 as in April 2007
It should be availablein retail in April

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:18 am

If they really are 80% or higher efficiency at all loads, then why isnt it certified as 80+?

Also, why no 300w version?

and since im talking to a PSU vendor i might as well ask for the holy grail of quiet PSU's:
will you ever develop a 300w external passive single 12v output power brick, packaged with a DC/DC converter like the Pico-PSU, with additional 12v lines straight from the power brick to be used to power graphics card power plugs and the 4pin 12v motherboard power plug? :wink:

i swear, the first company to make one of those will make a fortune.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:25 am

mvanderjagt wrote:The date is April 07 as in April 2007
It should be availablein retail in April
Ah, ok, my mistake, sorry.

I always get confused by the different date layouts in Europe and the US. But since Nexus is a Dutch company, I should have thought of that.

mastabog

Post by mastabog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:11 pm

Aris wrote:and since im talking to a PSU vendor i might as well ask for the holy grail of quiet PSU's:
will you ever develop a 300w external passive single 12v output power brick, packaged with a DC/DC converter like the Pico-PSU, with additional 12v lines straight from the power brick to be used to power graphics card power plugs and the 4pin 12v motherboard power plug? :wink:

i swear, the first company to make one of those will make a fortune.
I concur, or at least I would certainly buy one of those and recommend it to everybody. The past few days I have been thoroughly looking for AC/DC bricks (even core transformers) which output 12V / 8-10A because I just don't want to buy a new bigger PSU just for the video card. I would so use an external brick and power only the video card from it! Anyone knowing of such a brick that costs less than a 500W low-noise PSU? A fanless 150-300W PSU would work for that too but all those cables an bulkiness ... bleh

I hope the new Nexus PSUs stand up to the claims. Nexus seems to be playing seriously regarding noise. An efficiency graph for loads from 20% to 100% is at this time what is missing (Corsair did a good thing adding one of those on their website).

kenyee

Post by kenyee » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:51 am

mastabog wrote: I would so use an external brick and power only the video card from it!
Won't this have grounding issues?
I.e., if you use a different power supply, the ground voltage for the video card won't be the same for the rest of your system?

A176

Post by A176 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:27 pm

the V5 6000 says hi.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:44 am

kenyee wrote:
mastabog wrote: I would so use an external brick and power only the video card from it!
Won't this have grounding issues?
I.e., if you use a different power supply, the ground voltage for the video card won't be the same for the rest of your system?
ground is ground. there is a grounding wire on external brick PSU's that is connected to all the common ground in the system. there is no seperated grounds. every ground point in the entire system is connected to every other ground point in the system, which BTW, is also connected to the chassis of the system. Which is why your supposed to touch the chassis before you reach inside it and touch any components, so that you are "grounded" to the system.
A176 wrote:the V5 6000 says hi.
lol, thats awsome. But id prefer one that just uses the universal PCI-E power connector so it would work with any video card. Plus, with power consumption comming down on CPU's and GPU's, it wouldnt be hard to power most "quiet pc's" with a single 300w external PSU.