14db v. 18db v. 20db ??? Can't decide...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

RDaneel

14db v. 18db v. 20db ??? Can't decide...

Post by RDaneel » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:59 pm

Hey - I'm brand new to the forums, and have a question...

I know that decibels are on a log scale, so each 10 db means a doubling in noise, right? Well... that would mean that the new FSB PSUs with a 120mm fan ("under 20db") are more than 50% louder than a SilenX 14db PSU.

OK, so my problem is that I am new to PC silencing, and I don't know what 14 or 20 db will sound like in my real world application. I have 2 PCs under my desk, neither of which was built with noise in mind. 60mm HSF fans, 4 case fans each, Enermax and Turbolink PSUs with dual fans, etc. I will be going the watercooled route, maybe with an external system like the Koolance Exos or Corsair HydroCool, and I want to get the PSU noise down. I figure that the dual watercooling setups, PSUs, and HDs will be the only noise... and I can live with that!

So is 14db going to be substantially quieter, once we are talking about sound levels outside the case and up in my chair, not with my ear next to it, than a 20db PSU? Should I shut up and just buy the quietest I can, simply because noise is cumulative?

Arrgh! Any advice would be much appreciated...

RDaneel

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:31 am

My 6p. Published specs are interesting and indicative, but don't stake your pension on them. By the time you get your own, in your PC, your case, your ears etc even the quietest component can become 'loud'.

MikeC wrote about this several times - basically the discrimination of the human ear is our biggest obstacle in the search for silent (or damn quiet) computing. So I have a Papst 8412NGL fan (supposedly 12dB) and a Barracuda 7200.7 (just upgraded) in my system - depending where and how these are mounted they are quieter or noisier. e.g. with the HDD in standard mounts it causes a drumming in my case I can hear from several metres away even when the house fairly noisy. My preferred hdd mounting is between rubber bands which gives me a virtually silent disk.

You will have the same thing with ANY psu - you could have electronic hums or buzzes, or vibration from the fan could resonate nicely wih your case. Read more on these forums, but if you want the quietest psu without modifying it, probably the silenx is better. (And yes, our ears can hear 14dB from a metre away IF the rest of the environment is quiet enough!) My view is this quest for a silent PC is an iterative experiment, but certainly at each stage you are best to get the quietest component available (affordable etc).

Mirar

Post by Mirar » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:47 am

I do this: Buy what I need, and modify it to fit my demands.

Sound is tricky. The human ear hears a double in intensity for 8 times the sound power. A bel is a 10x (+10 dB = 10x). (10 dB = 10x is very close to 8x = 9.21dB or something so it's simplified. This means basically that you need 8 times the number of noisy items to before you "hear" a double in intensity.)

And then there's the shape of the noise. It's really hard to tell what's more disturbing. A typical dripping valve might be close to 0dB on average, but it's bloody annoying. :-)

...and last, it probably varies how they measured the thing. If they used a 20dB(A) fan in one, and the other is measured in total to 14dB(A), it can be a huge difference. Add turbulence...

The only really quiet solution is fanless, of course. 8)

RDaneel

Post by RDaneel » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:38 am

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like the right answer is to get the SilenX PSUs, and try to "save" on db wherever I can, even if another component will be slightly less silent.

Cool, thanks!
RDaneel

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Re: 14db v. 18db v. 20db ??? Can't decide...

Post by Katana Man » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:24 am

RDaneel wrote: I know that decibels are on a log scale, so each 10 db means a doubling in noise, right? Well... that would mean that the new FSB PSUs with a 120mm fan ("under 20db") are more than 50% louder than a SilenX 14db PSU.
You are assuming that the Forton PSU is running at 20dBA. I don't know the exact numbers for this PSU, but I'm fairly certain that it runs well under 20dBA. I would not be suprised if it's even under the SilenX. Even theoretically, the Fortron should be quieter with the 120mm fan. SilenX may be easier to find though. Xpdirect.com is the only place with the Fortron 350W right now.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:00 am

Katana Man, having briefly heard the 120mm Fortron, I have to say it does not compete with the SilenX 14dB PSU. I think the SilenX IS close to 14 dBA, and the Fortron IS somewhere around 20dBA. Close to the Nexus 3000, but as I haven't done an a/b, I can't say for sure. Will try to get a Fortron sample for review.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:17 am

Yeah, that would be great if you could get a hold of one for a comparison. I've got the 350W model, and would be very impressed if the SilenX is quieter.

Of course, the electronics would also need to be looked at as well. The stability of the Fortrons are well known. My rails are the best I've seen:
11.968-12.032
5.026 - 5.045
3.32 - 3.36

Oh, nevermind. Looks like the SilenX is a Fortron based power supply.
Last edited by Katana Man on Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:18 am

SilenX unit sounds quite remarkable if it's that low, I need one now! I wonder if they ship this unit to the UK. :D

I just checked their website and it seems to be up and running.

http://www.silenx.com/

Sleeper

Re: 14db v. 18db v. 20db ??? Can't decide...

Post by Sleeper » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:55 am

RDaneel wrote:Hey - I'm brand new to the forums, and have a question...

I know that decibels are on a log scale, so each 10 db means a doubling in noise, right? Well... that would mean that the new FSB PSUs with a 120mm fan ("under 20db") are more than 50% louder than a SilenX 14db PSU......
mmm.... I think 3-4 db is "twice" as loud, not "half" as loud.

Bob

livedistortion

Post by livedistortion » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:37 am

I checked XPdirect and they sell the Sparkle version (350 W FSP350-60PN) is that the same as the Fortron and what would be the model number of that one. Directron also sells them, but they only have the 300w version with the 120fan.

So, I'm a little confused with all the models and the two different brands. I want a 120 size fan model in either 350w or 400w if they make them, what model numbers should I look for?

Coolcases.com said that Sparkle Fortron was loud, but I think they may mean older versions.

Also there is a Fortron Noisekiller model, but it's not a 120 fan, anyone know anything about it?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:34 pm

ez2remember wrote:SilenX unit sounds quite remarkable if it's that low, I need one now! I wonder if they ship this unit to the UK. :D

Got an update from Peter Kim, the main driving force behind the SilenX PSUs/brand. He has more troubles with Ahanix/ExoticPC. Apparently the SilenX products that are appearing on the ExoticPC site are not the same as the originals he was selling. The "real" SilenX team is now homeless and looking for new premises. The anticipated return date of April 7 is obviously going to be postponed. Peter says they will be back soon, though.

Yes the dif between 20 and 14 dB is pretty big but I am only guesstimating and quoting claimed numbers. I will say this: there's no question the 14 dB SilenX sample I have is by far the quietest fanned PSU I have ever heard -- by no small margin. Even at full power output, it is amazingly quiet. At idle, you have to get within 6" to hear it. At least I do. I have not installed it in a system yet, but will do soon. I am deliberately holding off on publishing a review because I think Peter and his team deserve the exposure they'll get with a proper link to their new site when they are actually up and running.
Last edited by MikeC on Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:33 pm

livedistortion,

Your answer is here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3607

And Jim from Coolcases.com is not yet stocking the 120mm version.

Doomer

Post by Doomer » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:29 am

MikeC wrote:
Yes the dif between 20 and 14 dB is pretty big but I am only guesstimating and quoting claimed numbers. I will say this: there's no question the 14 dB SilenX sample I have is by far the quietest fanned PSU I have ever heard -- by no small margin. Even at full power output, it is amazingly quiet. At idle, you have to get within 6" to hear it. At least I do.
I wonder are there large differences with Silenx, Nexus and Zalman 400w units as they all are the same PSU made by Fortron with similar heatsinks.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:02 am

MikeC wrote: ...I will say this: there's no question the 14 dB SilenX sample I have is by far the quietest fanned PSU I have ever heard -- by no small margin. Even at full power output, it is amazingly quiet. At idle, you have to get within 6" to hear it...
My experience too, exactly. The SilenX 400W 14dbA is the quietest fanned PSU currently available, by far. Couldn't be happier.

8)

prontospyder

Post by prontospyder » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:38 am

MikeC wrote:
ez2remember wrote:SilenX unit sounds quite remarkable if it's that low, I need one now! I wonder if they ship this unit to the UK. :D

Got an update from Peter Kim, the main driving force behind the SilenX PSUs/brand. He has more troubles with Ahanix/ExoticPC. Apparently the SilenX products that are appearing on the ExoticPC site are not the same as the originals he was selling. The "real" SilenX team is now homeless and looking for new premises. The anticipated return date of April 7 is obviously going to be postponed. Peter says they will be back soon, though.

Yes the dif between 20 and 14 dB is pretty big but I am only guesstimating and quoting claimed numbers. I will say this: there's no question the 14 dB SilenX sample I have is by far the quietest fanned PSU I have ever heard -- by no small margin. Even at full power output, it is amazingly quiet. At idle, you have to get within 6" to hear it. At least I do. I have not installed it in a system yet, but will do soon. I am deliberately holding off on publishing a review because I think Peter and his team deserve the exposure they'll get with a proper link to their new site when they are actually up and running.
Is ExoticPC and SilenX the same companies? I noticed that both of their addresses are the same.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:46 am

Hello:
al bundy wrote:
MikeC wrote: ...I will say this: there's no question the 14 dB SilenX sample I have is by far the quietest fanned PSU I have ever heard -- by no small margin. Even at full power output, it is amazingly quiet. At idle, you have to get within 6" to hear it...
My experience too, exactly. The SilenX 400W 14dbA is the quietest fanned PSU currently available, by far. Couldn't be happier.

8)
If the SilenX is quieter than the Fortron P300XFPN, and it may well be -- then I am very impressed! But, I bet the Fortron ain't far behind and it costs about half as much -- $32 w/ free shipping at New Egg! My guesstimate is 16-18dBA for the Fortron, with air flow that probably far exceeds the SilenX, I'd say. :D

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:29 pm

Doomer wrote:
I wonder are there large differences with Silenx, Nexus and Zalman 400w units as they all are the same PSU made by Fortron with similar heatsinks.
I wonder the same. Specifically, I wonder how the air flow of a 14dB SilenX PSU compares with that of a Nexus 400w. I'm basically trying to choose between a SilenX 300/350w or the new Nexus 400w.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:41 am

Wedge wrote: I wonder the same. Specifically, I wonder how the air flow of a 14dB SilenX PSU compares with that of a Nexus 400w. I'm basically trying to choose between a SilenX 300/350w or the new Nexus 400w.
Quote from MikeC above "Katana Man, having briefly heard the 120mm Fortron, I have to say it does not compete with the SilenX 14dB PSU. I think the SilenX IS close to 14 dBA, and the Fortron IS somewhere around 20dBA. Close to the Nexus 3000, but as I haven't done an a/b, I can't say for sure. Will try to get a Fortron sample for review."

Seems like the SilenX is quieter than the Nexus unit. :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:47 am

Seems like the SilenX is quieter than the Nexus unit.
No question of that.