I think the power supply in my Fusion is going

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Jeff Haas

I think the power supply in my Fusion is going

Post by Jeff Haas » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:07 am

Here's my current tale of woe...troubleshooting advice welcomed!

I built an HTPC with an Antec Fusion case last year, using the MSI 6150 motherboard. It's been good, but...yesterday, I bring it up out of standby and there's no picture on the TV. Hooking a monitor up (the TV is SD and has component inputs) got a picture, so it looks like the component video part of the mobo is bad. I tried putting a space ATI card in, which worked but now the system mysteriously freezes every now and then and reboots. Also, the hard drive has developed some bad sectors that show when a show is playing...the playback just freezes.

The last time I had something that was weird and hard to diagnose, it was the power supply. My original Sonata case had the Antec smart power supply flake out and it was replaced with a Seasonic and is chugging along fine.

Is there a way to test a power supply that you suspect is flaky? I think I've got a spare cheapo supply that I can swap in, but the system will boot and act perfectly normal for awhile and then suddenly freeze and reboot.

I'm also afraid that the motherboard is partly hosed somehow, which is a bummer because it has lots of great features.

Anything I'm overlooking?