Two system boards with single power supply

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

prodeous

Two system boards with single power supply

Post by prodeous » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:48 am

First of all, Yes I did use the search engine. Usualy they don't like me much so I didn't see anything similar.

So.

What are the issues/problems one might be faced with running two system boards running off single power supply?

Currently i have an DFI lanparty with X2 3800+ and 4gb ram

Looking into upgrade, and get a nice Seasonic 550/650+ power supply to power this and new system boards. As each would probably be around 250W max each, its possible to run both of single 550, and especialy 650 watt power supply.

I know main issue would be when i turn off one, it turns off the other.

But what other problems might i be facing?

As for upgrade. Probably AM2 with another X2 but a 65nm part. 2gb of ram, an no specific other parts.

Mainly i'm looking at rendering power.

I am also considering a QuadFX with two 2210 opterons as they would consume much less power then any fx7X cpus. so that would be around 300W.

Video card wise. Currently X800XL. will upgrade to next vid card that doesn't require additional power via PCIe power plug. probably gf8600 or radx2600

comments? suggestions? statements i might be crazy? :P (wich i'm not going to deny ;) )

EsaT

Re: Two system boards with single power supply

Post by EsaT » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:11 am

Loosing/corrupting data is very big possibility if other system is powered down without it being ready.

prodeous wrote:Mainly i'm looking at rendering power.

comments? suggestions?
Yes.
Get E6600 and crank it above 3GHz or if in hurry/with low budget get one of those C2Ds with less cache and overclock it.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... out_9.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... 00_14.html

(rendering is actually one of those rare areas where home user can benefit much from more cores)

prodeous

Post by prodeous » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:35 am

Thanks.

I am considering the C2D and AM2 system..

Most likely an mATX or smaller board, mainly CPu and memory.

Current idea is to run a PicoATX power supply of a main power supply, most likely a Seasonic 650W+.

i just have to find more info on how much power do components take to see. Also the new form factor DTX from AMD seems intresting.

But I'll stap that as a new post in the project forums. Its going to be a woosy one ;). probably end up with 4 systems in a box ;).