{ SmartPower SP-450 } + Sonata II

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

gomme

{ SmartPower SP-450 } + Sonata II

Post by gomme » Thu May 10, 2007 1:30 pm

What are SPCR members experience on SP-450?

I was considering getting NSK2400( NSK2450B!?) but Sonata II /w 50 rebate seems quite a bargain. Unfortunately, it comes with SP-450 which seems to not last a year.

I'd like to hear from SP-450 users.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Thu May 10, 2007 2:33 pm

I used the SP-450 from my Sonata II for over a year before I replaced it - and I only replaced it with the Tagan supply from another PC because the cables on the Antec were too short for my liking. It's now my "backup" PSU and I've not had a problem with it.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Thu May 10, 2007 3:52 pm

I built two PCs for family using the case. The Smartpower in one of them died after 7 months. No harm was done to other components, but it flashed, smoked, and smelled. It still booted, but rebooted under load.

It was RMA'd and replaced with a nice 500W Earthwatts.

I do have a fan modded 350W Fortron ready... :lol:

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 pm

I too have a Sonata II with the SP-450.

It has served my needs decently well. It is definately not a fully polished product, but it was never meant to be. (Sonata by itself probably costs $80) It has powered my machine (in sig) for about six months, and powered a weaker system for six months before that. I never had any PSU related issues. I also found it pretty quiet, but the rest of my system was always louder, so I couldn't really tell. On low loads the fan spins at about 2100rpm. Never measured it at higher loads. Still could not hear it over my (mildly loud) system even when both fans kicked in.

However, recently the PSU has had an issue with coil whine. It's not very noticable though. I only notice it when I'm right bend down next to it. But that and the fact that a Sonata II isn't the best case for cooling, has led me to soon replace the case and PSU with a P150 and the bundled NeoHE 430.

EDIT: If this system is for a lower-end computer, or where quiet is not a large priority, the low price makes it a good deal. But if you are aiming at very quiet, I'd keep looking. The Sonata II provides its user with basic functionality in a very stylish case. (ie not for OC'ers or silent freaks)

gomme

Post by gomme » Thu May 10, 2007 4:31 pm

Thank you for the quick replies!