Seasonic S12-330 or BQT E5-350W or , which one is quieter ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Slepak

Seasonic S12-330 or BQT E5-350W or , which one is quieter ?

Post by Slepak » Sun May 27, 2007 4:32 am

Hi guys,

Im about to build
690G/3600+X2 Brisbane/1GB DDR2/2x500GB HDD designed to work 24/7/365 system and would like to know which of the following 2 PSU would be best in terms of quietness ?

Seasonic S12-330(SS-330HB Active PFC) or BeQuiet StraightPower E5-350W or maybe CoolerMaster iGreen Power 430W (RS-430-ASAA - only 17dB) ?

Cheers
Slepak

Chrissicom

Post by Chrissicom » Wed May 30, 2007 7:18 am

I have a PC with a Season S12-380 and one with a Be Quiet Modular 430W... the Be Quiet overall noise is less than the Seasonics because the fan spins slower in my opinion, although the fan of the Be Quiet makes a scratching noise which can be heard by silent freaks (not by a gamer with sound on). This noise seems to be in most Be Quiet since I exchanged mine 2 times because of this and I also have this problem with the 530W Model which completely died on me one time and also got an exchange. So you already see that I prefer the Seasonic ;) even though I find it a little bit louder there are no scratching noises or anything and the PSU also never failed.

I have no experience with Cooler Master PSUs, I had some Enermax before and they were much louder than the Seasonic and Be Quiet PSUs.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:36 am

Hi,

I recently ordered a carton of the Coolermaster iGreen 430 PSUs as everybody upto and including the Main European distrubutors was out of the Seasonic S-12s I normally use in thePaQ case.

It's dreadful. 17dB? No way (well at 20m maybe), not even at idle.

The PSU drowns out everything else by miles. Subjectively it sounds about the same from just outside the room, 20 ft away, as an S-12 system from 2 ft.

That makes the iGreen 430 around 10dB or so louder than the S-12 430W under identical conditions.

Assuming the unit is not faulty, of course...

Looking at, I think I know why.
EDIT: found a pic that I believe confirms this, even though it's a year old. Tiny HS with closely spaced fins.

First the HS is too small, and the fins far too close together. I think the air just goes round the HS, not through it.

Secondly the fan control tries to maintain a constant temperature, and it's set far too low. There is a strong current of air coming out of the PSU, but it's scarcely any warmer than the case air temp.

Of course, it's possible that the HS is so in-efficient that the PSU itself is running hot, but increasing airflow (and creating noiser) is never going to help.

Peter