PSU is the last noisy component ... thoughts?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

A176

PSU is the last noisy component ... thoughts?

Post by A176 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm running a Silverstone ST50EF on the following:

e6300, P5N-E SLI (650i), 8800GTS 640mb, 2x 320gb sata, 1x dvd-rw, packed into an Antec Solo.

There's 2 120mm in there (a tricool on low, sflex on 5v), and a nexus 92mm. I didn't think this setup to be much of a power drawer, and its definitely quiet - but the Silverstone is the most noisiest component and just blares up under load.

Could there be an issue with the PSU? Or is this completely natural for this PSU? (spcr gave it a somewhat fair review).

arbiter

Post by arbiter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:52 pm

I don't know this PSU. Does it have several 12v rails?
Make sure you have the Video Card, CPU, and Drives evenly distributed across any available rails. I'm sure running one of them at full load will generate more heat (and probably fan noise) than sharing the load.

kater

Post by kater » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:41 pm

arbiter wrote:I'm sure running one of them at full load will generate more heat (and probably fan noise) than sharing the load.
It won't. Why would it? It's the whole PSU that's loaded, not just a rail or two. There'll be the same amount of load and hence heat no matter how you plan your connections. Only thing that may change is that voltage regulation will be slightly better - but I don't think it will be noticeably.

According to the review, this PSU should be quieter than the Tricool @ low and, I guess, as quiet as your vid card. At least in idle. When you push your system you definitely draw less than 250W - which means the PSU really shouldn't be revving up its fan. On the other paw, it's summer and maybe your ambient is high enough to make the PSU gasp for cool air?

A176

Post by A176 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am

for some reason i used to believe the fan speed was directly related to wattage load, until my friend spelled out the obvious for me /stupid :p

yes, my room can get pretty warm, and running everything on low voltage doesnt really help the case temperature.

but because of my measured load now, im thinking about investing in a fanless psu; im going to wait a couple months to see how far companies bring solid cap tech to market and make a decision then on which PSU to get.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:54 am

I find most power supplies ramp up the fan more than is required. If you don't mind voiding the warranty, consider a fan-mod.