Corsair HX520 buzz/whine issues (other PSUs discussed too)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote: Personally, I always buy a different model if one lets me down, then RMA and sell the replacement I get. Keeps the rig fresh and prevents frustration.
I'm going to follow your advice on this. RMA request was just sent to Corsair. Hoping this will be as painless as possible.

Now it's time to review the recommend PSU section and do some forum reading.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 pm

I feel I should correct myself in this thread.

The buzzing I am hearing is NOT coming from the PSU. Though my fan exhibits a clicking noise that is only audible within 1 meter, I feel I should correct my misstep in posting false info about my HX520W. It has been removed from my case, yet I still have something buzzing. It took some time for it to rear it's ugly head after swapping my Corsair with an Antec, but it is definitely not a PSU issue. The buzzing I hear now is identical to that before. So, at this point, I do not know the cause of the noise.

grandpatzer

Post by grandpatzer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

I have buzzing sound ONLY when scrollin in Internet explorer.

I never use IE only FF so I haven't bothered where it comes from.

my old PC with completely different components also buzzes but I htink that one buzzes always when browsing, in that one I believe it's the GPU.

cheers

Post by cheers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 pm

i have a corsair hx520 and i've got the high pitched electronic whine. i had thought it was the 4870 but after pulling that part it's definitely the power supply. guess i should rma it.

as for scrolling noises, a different computer gave off a high pitched whine during scrolling. turned out to be the motherboard and/or processor (after i'd changed the PS and the graphics card). i don't know what you all's opinion of the antec ea430 is, but when i was diagnosing that problem i had one sitting on top of my p180 about 4 feet from me and i couldn't tell it was on. not bad at all for $30 at fry's

edit: after pulling the computer apart to replace the power supply, the whine remained. i then pulled the hard drives and left only the SSDs in the computer. still whined. the culprit: antec 120x35 tricool left over from my original p180.