New PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

New PSU

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:13 am

Since my PSU is now the most noisy part in my system, which is in my siggy. Even its not much, its still enough to make me consider changing PSU soon.

So far I've tried Seasonic S12 430W and its more audiable than my Be Quiet!, so no use for that probably bad sample of SeaSonic. Somehow fully or semi passive PSU's tempt me most.

So far I have access:
Corsair HX 520W (108€ )
Antec Phantom 500W (110€)
Silverstone st30nf (140€)
Antec NeoHe's ( starting from 70€ )

Which would be best for my system when seeking as silent system as possible. Is 300W enough?

Phantom bit tempts me for 500W as then I have no worries for drawing too much power but unmodular design and that blue light are not in my taste. Its also bit old design.

Corsair seems nice and pretty affordable. According tests its very, very quiet. 5 year warranty is not bad. Modular design is very good. There are however reports of whining etc.

Silverstone seems elegant and very, very nice, but 300W limit makes me worry. And it seems to have pretty limited connectors as its bit older design.

Antec NeoHe's seem pretty good but there has been a lot troubles in past in NeoHe's. 3 year warranty and modular design seems nice. Its also very affordable.

There are also some NesQ / Elanvital Semi Passive PSU's but I don't know much about them.

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:20 am

300W is plenty enough for your needs.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks that gives me bit more room to choose from.

kater

Post by kater » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:56 pm

How about a Be Quiet Straight Power?

Don't forget that your bad sample of S12 is a bad sample of one of the quietest PSU's you can get. Same thing could happen to Corsair etc. BTW - Corsair was measured by SPCR to be a wee noisier than the S12, especially in the lower power spectrum. (wow, me smart - spectrum, yeah!).

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 am

Be Quiet straight power is rated <- 22 d/BA by manufacturer when my Be Quiet Dark Power Pro is rated <- 19 d/BA by manufacturer. I know those rates are BS but still they give some hint of noise levels.

I was thinking getting 380W NeoHe but it has had some problems with Asus boards...