Tagan PSU - High Pitch Noise

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

reflekshun

Tagan PSU - High Pitch Noise

Post by reflekshun » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:12 pm

I need to know whether this is abnormal for a Tagan powersupply (or any powersupply really) as I really want to return the PSU, so any help or knowledge would be really appreciated! I have had a Tagan 530W PSU 2-force for about 6 weeks, and now I'm wishing I got something else!

Basically there is a high pitched noise, its not loud as such, but can be heard at a low level throughout my room with the case (antec solo) closed and its in the corner of the room. Its a constant noise that doesn't change regardless of the load on the computer.

I have used a toilet roll and other things to isolate the noise and i'm 90% sure its coming from the PSU (please let me know if you have better technique of doing this lol!). I'm comfortable with low level wind noise coming from my computer, but should I expect any kind of high pitch noise from a PSU - even a really soft one? Thanks anyone who can lend me some advice.

I would just love to know if returning the PSU for a replacement would possibly eliminate the noise.

Thanks anyone who can help!

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:52 am

hopefully, someone in the know can reply to this.

Unfortunately, I do not completely understand why PSU's can make noise but I myself have a psu that can be buzzy occasionally. Most people say it is dependent on how you load the rails. In order to prevent the noise, you may have to make sure that the power output is balanced throughout the rails. Often, when you only draw a small output from one rail, the psu will buzz until the rail's output is raised. For example, if your computer primarily uses the 12V rails of the PSU and you use one or two fans at 5V, the 5V rails of the PSU will have to output only a small amount of power. This may cause the PSU to buzz. If you were to add many more fans at 5V, the psu would have to output more power and the buzzing may stop.

So you may want to try using different connections from the PSU.

Sorry I cannot be of too much help,
Derek

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Tagan PSU - High Pitch Noise

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:22 am

reflekshun wrote:Its a constant noise that doesn't change regardless of the load on the computer... I have used a toilet roll and other things to isolate the noise and i'm 90% sure its coming from the PSU (please let me know if you have better technique of doing this lol!).

I would just love to know if returning the PSU for a replacement would possibly eliminate the noise.
One other possible source of the noise is the motherboard. The power components near the CPU socket can sometimes emit similar noise. To verify a noise source, it's best to eliminate all other noise sources. Unplug the HDDs, any fans. For a minute or less, running fanless won't do any harm to anything. Open the case, turn the power on, go into the BIOS and just carefully listen from very close.

If it is the PSU -- and I suspect it is, given your description, then really verify that it never changes regardless of load. ie -- stress test the system with the cover off. As derekchinese mentioned, if could be related to the PSU not behaving well due too a low load, but you don't really want to increase the power draw just to keep a bad PSU happy.

Finally, I think you'd be justified in asking for an exchange. You might have got unlucky. PSU makers/sellers aren't completely deaf or ignorant about such problems.

reflekshun

Post by reflekshun » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:50 am

Thankyou both so much for the replies, I have a slightly better idea of what i might do now.

derekchinese: I have tried to isolate the sound by disconnecting fans however the final and ultimate test I don't think is possible - turning off the psu fan while the other components are running? I dont think this is possible, so toilet rolls to the ear seem my best option that I've come across so far.

I will try connecting 3 fans at once and see if this makes a difference, its interesting I didn't know things like this could cause a noise.. GEEZ! its really quite the journey towards 'quiet' isn't it? I remember the first time i walked into a computer store and asked if i could buy a 'silent' fan for my power supply cos it was loud, the computer guy just looked at me blankly then lectured me on how its impossible to have a silent fan heheh! :p

Thanks again for the help!