Corsair 520 fan swap or replacement?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Corsair 520 fan swap or replacement?

Post by SZ » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:22 am

Hello,

I know that there are a lot of topics regarding the Corsair fan noise, I think I've read all of them but still cannot decide what to do. The problem is that the fan in my Corsair 520 PSU recently became the loudest part, the fan started producing irregular noise. It's not even one year old yet and I can do the replacement. But I'm not quite sure if I want to do that, my friend recently replaced the same PSU because of the same problem, a lot of people here have had the same problem with this PSU model.
So I'm thinking about fan swap and losing the warranty. I have 3 options:
1. Simple fan swap, can choose from either Nexus or Scythe fan. Which one is better when mounted horizonally? From other posts I didn't get the clear answer, personally I've got 4 12cm Nexus fans running in different computers for 2-4 years but all are mounted vertically.
2. Swap the fan and connect it to the external t-balancer controller. Here is the question - did anybody do that? Is there a problem if PSU internal fan controller has no fan connected?
3. Remove the fan, as my case is Antec P180 and there is a Nexus fan connected to the t-balancer in the lower chamber. The question is the same as above.

Is it worth losing the warranty? Has anybody seen faulty Corsair because of some other than fan problem?

Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks!

s_xero

Post by s_xero » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:49 am

It's best to have the Scythe's FDB-bearing horizontally. They float in any direction over the fan's frame. No mechanical wear measureable.

Sleeve-bearings are not built in ANY way for horizontal mounting. They will abrade over the entire area (the hubs made of) which causes them to make grinding and whining noises, let alone the wear to those fans will be dramatic.
Your quite lucky with your Nexus-fans it would seem. Although you may not (even) hear the extra bearing/abrading noises.

regards Sander

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:32 am

Here is a thread for you.
My Corsair HX520W is my loudest component...

Especially note this from Jaganath post on second page.
The original Adda is a 2200rpm fan rated for 85cfm. The problem with swapping for a 1200rpm fan (and using the psu's fan controller) is that until >300W fan control circuit only provides <3.9V; it is very likely the 1200rpm fan will not start at this voltage.

you should just put a 1200rpm fan on a fanmate and set it where you cannot hear it but still producing a decent amount of airflow.
I have a HX620 so the fan in the HX520 might be slower than 2200 rpm (I don't know).
Just consider to use a fan control circuit. :D

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks, I've read that. The question is: Did anybody actually disconnect the fan from Corsair PSU? I'm worried about some PSU protection logic, like - if there is no fan connected, then PSU does not start. Is it plain stupid? :)

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:37 am

The problem is resolved - ordered Fortron Zen 400W, as soon as Zen arrives I'll exchange Corsair to a new one and sell it.
Anyone in Estonia wants it? What are the chances... :)