OCZ StealthXStream 600w

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

khromosone

OCZ StealthXStream 600w

Post by khromosone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:03 am

Anyone heard much from this psu? Was recommenced to me by a mate and just thought I'd run it by here and see how it is.

kater

Post by kater » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:26 am

Same (almost identical) as FSP GLN / Epsilon, sold by at least a dozen other brands (Sparkle, BQ Straight Power, Zalman, OCZ GameXStream...), usually very nicely priced. Great in terms of power, a solid performer.

That's what Hrdwr Canucks say on what we're mostly interested here:

8- Noise and Heat

This part of the testing procedures presented a bit of a challenge for us and it involved some conversations with OCZ’s staff and ultimately the delivery of another test unit to our doorstep. When doing these reviews we really do our research by searching forums for comments about the review unit in question. Sometimes the comments are overly positive while other times they are continuous rants about a certain product. In the StealthXstream’s case there was one comment which dominated all others: many customers were receiving this power supply and finding it had a VERY loud fan.

Thinking these were isolated cases, we fired up the power supply….and discovered the customers were right; the fan noise was bordering on extreme even when the computer was sitting on the desktop. This was not a case of a problem with a bearing in the fan or the blades causing a vibration in the housing. Rather, it was the loud “whooshâ€

khromosone

Post by khromosone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:33 am

No idea, failsafe for an upgrade later down the track maybe? Hehe.

I've been lurking here for a while, kinda decided on a Seasonic... but just dunno which model.

I only have a fairly pooh system, 3600+ dual core amd, 7800gt 160gb hd, 1gb ram. So I wouldn't think I'd need too much pooooower!!

kater

Post by kater » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:36 am

khromosone wrote:I only have a fairly pooh system, 3600+ dual core amd, 7800gt 160gb hd, 1gb ram. So I wouldn't think I'd need too much pooooower!!
350W is overkill for that. My system (X2 2400 7900GTX) idles at app. 80W DC and never goes over 200W DC when gaming. Just grab S12 II 380W or Corsair VX 450W (great value here! - same price as S12 II 380W) and you'll be happy. And safe. And future proof. Really.

khromosone

Post by khromosone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:42 am

Sweet, thanks for the replies. Just chucked in the order for it ;)

edit----

I dont really want to make another thread so I'll post this in here..

Could you also recommenced a fairly cheaps DECENT, QUIET case? :P

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:07 am

I got one of these arriving tomorrow myself, the Corsair 550w PSU just went out of stock when i was about to order. this wasn't much more. Hopefully this will go well with my HIs radeon x1950 and quietly cooled E4400.

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:32 am

khromosone wrote:Sweet, thanks for the replies. Just chucked in the order for it ;)

edit----

I dont really want to make another thread so I'll post this in here..

Could you also recommenced a fairly cheaps DECENT, QUIET case? :P
Their is always the antec solo, but i managed to get this bargin from a mate for nothing > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... doy=Search .

It's never going to be the best made case in the world but it was easy to silence, all you need is a fan controler or a way to make the fans that come with run at 7V and they are silent, yep that 250mm fan on the side works brilliantly at 7v making virtualy no audible noise and keeps everything bar the hard discs cool. it is too noisy for my liking at 12v though.

Also with all the drive bays being 5.25" it's dead easy to elastily mont your HD's behind the 120mm fan. you might want to replace that fan with a more renound fan but it's actualy not bad apart from the LED's.

back to the topic I think i got a noisy one. which is really anoying, i was going to get the corsair 550watt version of the PSU in the 450watt vx review but it it was out of stock. The OCZ PSU is by far and away the loudest thing in my computer.