New Corsair 750W PSU - single 12V rail @ 60A

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Oklahoma Wolf

Re: New Corsair 750W PSU - single 12V rail @ 60A

Post by Oklahoma Wolf » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:00 pm

aristide1 wrote:Can you clarify what "we" means?
Madmat and I collaborated on the review.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:18 pm

I was actually quite grateful for test 5, real world results. Good stuff.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:16 pm

2x 2900xt
quad core
8 gigs ram
vista 64
p35 board
2x500gb drive
540 watts sufficient

silent?
nah

Suosaaski

Post by Suosaaski » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:29 am

aristide1 wrote:
Oklahoma Wolf wrote:
That we didn't run it up to the full 60A on the 12V rail doesn't mean it can't do it,
Can you clarify what "we" means?
Probably the authors.

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:24 am

angelkiller wrote:
ryboto wrote:are you going to be running Tri SLI or something?? who needs that much power?
:idea: With this PSU, you could fully load a quad core CPU and a GTX without the fan ramping up. Possibly SLI while the PSU stays @ 18dba. Right?

It's not so much the total power but rather the amount of power delivered quietly.
Just what i was thinking!! This should be able to power most quiet rigs with a quad core running at full pelt with a half decent graphic card or 2 and stay quiet at it's minimal fan speed.

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:05 am

why oh why do i get the noisey PSU jinx, just had one of these bad boys arrive today.

It's ether faulty or just fudged specs because 18db is virtualy inaudible over background noise and i can hear it in the next room. grrrrrr! ultra quiet my arse.

The PSU is the only thing i can hear in my PC.

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Ragnarok wrote:why oh why do i get the noisey PSU jinx, just had one of these bad boys arrive today.

It's ether faulty or just fudged specs because 18db is virtualy inaudible over background noise and i can hear it in the next room. grrrrrr! ultra quiet my arse.

Really...bummer! :o Sorry to hear about that. Guess we could have predicted that after finding out it wasn't built by Seasonic. :roll: Thanks for the report...will steer clear of this one.

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:04 am

miahallen wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:why oh why do i get the noisey PSU jinx, just had one of these bad boys arrive today.

Really...bummer! :o Sorry to hear about that. Guess we could have predicted that after finding out it wasn't built by Seasonic. :roll: Thanks for the report...will steer clear of this one.
I have a feeling mine is faulty. My mate has one and says " he had to look at the fan to check it was moving" i'm going to check that out sometime before deciding wether to bother getting a replacement or not. All the reviews so far say pretty much the same without going to the depths of an spcr review.

Mind you I want this PSU to work as expected really because i do like my gaimg and an fully intent on swapping my core2duo for a quad. I oftn do alot of video encoding and OCRing masses 1000's documents. it would be nice if don't have to worry about the PSU fan ramping up too.

Edt: just checked my mates corsair HX750 from a completly diffrent suppliers( both PSU's brought from the uk) I pointed out mine was noisey, both are just as noisey. it sounds like a bog standard 120mm fan at near full speed. He put his old cheepo eazycool switching PSU in and once we tweeked the graphics card fan speeds hit computer was quiet apart from the HD. He's going to swap it for a Corsair HX620 a the weekend.

I think it's safe to say that the current UK corsair TX750's are most definatly not close to quiet by this site's standards. weather it's just a dodgy batch or poor design we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully Mike gets to review one here.