PC Power and Computing

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

PretzelB

PC Power and Computing

Post by PretzelB » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Is there any reason why I don't see reviews for PC Power and Computing PSU's? I have never owned one but I seem to recall they were always deemed bullet proof (but expensive). I see they appear to come with 80mm fans so maybe they are loud?

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 pm

Not sure exactly why there hasn't been a review, but from perusing the forums it seems that they are a bit too noisy for SilentPCReview crowds...

Erssa

Re: PC Power and Computing

Post by Erssa » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 pm

tehfire wrote:Not sure exactly why there hasn't been a review, but from perusing the forums it seems that they are a bit too noisy for SilentPCReview crowds...
I find this hard to believe as SPCR has reviewed loud psus in the past, which were already perceived as loud before the review, for example the 1KW Enermax Galaxy.

But I believe the biggest reason is that PCP&C either don't sent samples to SPCR or SPCR has refused them.

Excerpt from the Enermax Galaxy review:
"It is with some reluctance that we accepted the Enermax Galaxy for review. Let's face it, a 1kW power supply isn't aimed at a quiet system for your living environment. SPCR remains interested primarily in examining products that have good potential for quiet performance. If sometimes we come across products that don't quite make the grade, that's OK, but a kilowatt PSU does not really have much of a chance. How could it cool itself quietly at even half power? Nonetheless, the Bonefish edition of our power supply testing platform was constructed specifically to accommodate this level of power delivery. The reality is that kilowatt power supplies for computers are becoming amazingly visible in the market today."

Reviewing expensive 1000W psus is pretty much a waste of time and resources, because they aren't targeted for SPCR audience, who knows that 300W psu is enough for most computers.

Even Anandtech asked PCP&C the obvious question in their interview: "What is your opinion on the constantly increasing wattages of power supplies? Why there are so many power supplies today offering more than 1000W? There is obviously no need for them at the moment."

neon joe

Re: PC Power and Computing

Post by neon joe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:06 am

Although most of PC P&C's power supplies are high wattage, it would be interesting to see a review of their 'Silencer 360'.

Judging from their other products though, I wouldn't expect any of them to be as quiet as a good Corsair, Seasonic, etc. PSU.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks for the quote, that does explain it a bit and I can certainly understand not being eager to review the 1K PSUs out there. But PC P&C does make a few models that compete directly against the likes of Seasonic and Corsair. I've been shopping lately and I started looking by brands I think are good quality and was a bit surprised to see all companies had similar prices in the 400 to 600 range. That's why I was curious to read a review.

I have a feeling they must be pretty loud for most here. That's why I'd really like to read something here on it. I've read they're very solid and stable but not much on the noise from a source (like SPCR) that I trust with respect to noise.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:34 am

a couple of points to take on board:

1) you don't need a 600W or even a 400W PSU. maximum draw of this:
Vista 64
Antec P182
ABIT IP35 PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
EVGA 512 GeForce 8800 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
Corsair XMS2 4GB(2x2GB) 240 Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR800 (PC2 6400)
Seasonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W PSU
2 Seagate 250gb hard drives (no raid)
1 DVD drive
SB X Fi Platinum
is about 225W (assuming no or light overlocking). Corsair VX450 is a great choice, or a HX520 if you want the PSU fan to never ramp up at all.

2) PCP&C, like OCZ, is a name I never expect to see on the SPCR Recommended list. they just don't care about it (noise) at all, interviews with their top management make this very clear, unlike Corsair who have made every effort to engage with the silence/quiet community.

3) as you said yourself there is little or no price difference in the wattage range you are looking at, so it's not as if PCP&C are massively cheaper than the equivalent Corsair, Seasonic etc. so on the one hand you can choose a PSU about which everything noisewise is known (ie VX450, HX520, SII-430 etc) or you can take a massive leap in the dark (PCP&C). I also doubt "It's too loud" will cut it with PCP&C as an RMA excuse.

just because PCP&C are venerated as gods by the gaming fraternity does not make them the best PSUs for every circumstance; this goes double for anything silence-related.

scdr

Post by scdr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm

jaganath wrote: 2) PCP&C, like OCZ, is a name I never expect to see on the SPCR Recommended list.
Despite its having been on the recommended list for years? ;-)
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page2.html

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 275ATX
Albeit on the retired list now.

I don't know if they care about silence now, but they were some of the pioneers in quiet. Maybe they just haven't kept up.
I have one (from back when they were one of the only power supplies advertised as quiet.) Not as quiet as my Nexus NX3500. But it has been working almost daily for years.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Despite its having been on the recommended list for years?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page2.html
you'll notice that was retired before I even joined. so no wonder I didn't know about it.