Corsair 550W clicking... 2 in a row.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Copyright

Corsair 550W clicking... 2 in a row.

Post by Copyright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:45 am

Ive built two machines now with this PSU... one for a friend and one for my self. I noticed when I had his power supply outside his box when we booted his board before mounting... that I could hear a light click or rattle. Wasnt sure if this was the fan or the clear piece of plastic shroud on the inside. He didn't care so we put it together. I got mine this week for 50$ after rebates so I could not resist this deal. Got it all installed and I have the exact same noise in mine. My case is full of low speed Noctua fans and the only thing you hear now is that clicking noise. How can I fix this? I thought it might just be his but its not. My corsair 520 in my main rig does not do this. Should I install a Noctua P12, Scythe S-flex or Nexus fan? I run this box 24/7 and want it as quiet as possible. I know the noise is from the fan because I stopped it and then turned on the PSU.. noise was gone. I know its not a good idea but atleast I know its fan noise and not component noise.

NTNgod

Post by NTNgod » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:14 am

I got a VX550 less than two weeks ago, and am experiencing something similar - where it's the loudest component in the system.

Mine has a sound similar to those old film projectors they used to use in grade school (although not nearly as loud, it's a similar noise).

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:18 am

lol film projector is a good description. Its the fan for some reason. Not sure if its the way the voltage is controlled or if its just noisy fans. As the system builds up some heat and the fan begins to spin a little faster the noise is less noticeable. I am really thinking of sticking a Noctua P12 in it.

NTNgod

Post by NTNgod » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:24 am

Copyright wrote:lol film projector is a good description. Its the fan for some reason.
When I fire up the system, rather than the BIOS or Windows screen, I half-expect "Blood Runs Red On The Highway" or some old nature/science flick to pop up instead :lol:

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:53 am

LOL.. yeah.. we got the same problem. This is three units I know if now that do this and whats funny is I cant find anything online where someone has the same problem. Some experience a whine but I have not seen them describe what sounds like the problem we have. Oh well. I guess I expected better after all the reviews and owning the 520W model.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:55 pm

i have the 450 version and ended up swapping the fan for a slipstream. it's bearable now. i did hear some coil-whine but i managed to block the higher frequencies by adding a bit of foam to the case top so it's ok.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:55 pm

I Think I will revert back to running just Seasonic PSU's. Ive never heard them do anything strange and I just let a 650Watt go in my old build to a friend that was REALLY silent. I know the HX series is Seasonic built but ive been told the VX is not? Is there truth to this? My current HX model is amazing.

NTNgod

Post by NTNgod » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Copyright wrote:I know the HX series is Seasonic built but ive been told the VX is not? Is there truth to this? My current HX model is amazing.
VX450 is Seasonic. VX550 is ChannelWell.

TX series is also a mix of OEMs, I think.

I *LIKE* everything else about this power supply, frankly - it's just that we seem to have gotten duds in the noise department.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:59 am

Redbeard wrote:The manufacturer breaks down like this:

VX450 - Seasonic
VX550 - CWT

HX520 - Seasonic
HX620 - Seasonic

TX650 - Seasonic
TX750 - CWT

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:08 am

Well that figures. Ive never had a Seasonic make this kind of noise. I wonder if they are using the same ADDA fans? I think there is a review on johnyguru where he breaks it open ill look into. If this becomes to annoying a Noctua P12 Will be installed. I have no time for RMA and a buyer having to pay shipping for a product he received defective has never made sense to me. I will use that $ towards a new fan.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:06 am

Buy.com has the VX550 for $60ish after MIR, I was really tempted to sell my HX520 and get the VX instead (would make money after the sell, don't really need the modular cables).

I was counting on the VX being near identical in the noise department (since they use the same Adda fan), but now that I've read your testimonials, I'm glad I didn't switch out my beloved HX. :D

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:32 am

I have both the HX and VX... I like my HX better. It is quiet. If they use the same fan there must have been a bad batch of adda fans or the voltage control changed on the VX that is creating the noise.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Copyright wrote:I have both the HX and VX... I like my HX better. It is quiet. If they use the same fan there must have been a bad batch of adda fans or the voltage control changed on the VX that is creating the noise.
Could have something to do with the VX's fan controller. CWT is the OEM on the VX series (Seasonic on HX and TX), not as good as the Seasonic design ... ?

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Could be, I know there are a couple guys in the Hard Forums that are having simliar issues also. I dont notice it so much now that the pc is back on the floor... but i still KNOW its there.

Iron_Dreamer

Post by Iron_Dreamer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 pm

JaYp146 wrote:Buy.com has the VX550 for $60ish after MIR, I was really tempted to sell my HX520 and get the VX instead (would make money after the sell, don't really need the modular cables).

I was counting on the VX being near identical in the noise department (since they use the same Adda fan), but now that I've read your testimonials, I'm glad I didn't switch out my beloved HX. :D
I just landed a VX550 from that very deal, and while it doesn't click, it's not what I'd call particularly quiet. Started on its' own on the bench it is noticeable louder, side by side with an S12, not a harsh noise, but just more air whooshing sound. Fan swap here we come.

Both the VX450 and HX620 I've used were on par with the S12 for quietness.

NTNgod

Post by NTNgod » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Iron_Dreamer wrote: I just landed a VX550 from that very deal, and while it doesn't click, it's not what I'd call particularly quiet. Started on its' own on the bench it is noticeable louder, side by side with an S12, not a harsh noise, but just more air whooshing sound. Fan swap here we come.
Perhaps, then, for whatever reason, the most recent batches simply aren't as quiet as the earlier ones (bad batch or component change). The earlier reviews seemed to indicate the VX550 was just as quiet as the VX450.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:26 pm

NTNgod wrote:
Iron_Dreamer wrote: I just landed a VX550 from that very deal, and while it doesn't click, it's not what I'd call particularly quiet. Started on its' own on the bench it is noticeable louder, side by side with an S12, not a harsh noise, but just more air whooshing sound. Fan swap here we come.
Perhaps, then, for whatever reason, the most recent batches simply aren't as quiet as the earlier ones (bad batch or component change). The earlier reviews seemed to indicate the VX550 was just as quiet as the VX450.
Earlier reviews? You mean you trusted sound data from a review not on SPCR?

Was it one of those sites that has a noise floor of 36dBA or was it just some site where a guy listens and says he doesn't notice the difference?

Or are you using the term "review" in the casual sense and referring to posters in a forum?