All Pro82+ Modu82+ are in stock at Newegg

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Michael Sandstrom

All Pro82+ Modu82+ are in stock at Newegg

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 am

The new Enermax PSUs are in stock at Newegg but it appears that a premium over MSRP is charged. The prices not including $8 shipping are as follows:

Modu82+ 425W $130 ($10 less for Pro92+)
Modu82+ 525W $170 ($10 less for Pro82+)
Modu82+ 625W $200 ($10 less for Pro82+)

I am looking forward to reading more SPCR and forum member reviews before I spring for one of these. Hopefully, prices will at least come down to MSRP in a few weeks.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 am

Screw paying a premium. I just ordered the 425W Modu82+ for $110 from Directron vs Newwegg's $130.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 am

They're also listed at NCIX however it shows it will be available in 5-10 days.
I wonder how much DirectCanada will be selling them for, and if I can wait that long :)

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 am

I'm rather disappointed by the lack of connectors on the 425W model. Only 3 SATA connectors on one cord. Seasonic M12II-430 for the win.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:42 am

Scoop wrote:I'm rather disappointed by the lack of connectors on the 425W model. Only 3 SATA connectors on one cord. Seasonic M12II-430 for the win.
I hear that alot.

However, I cant see why people would want anymore than 3 SATA connectors.

1 HDD + 1 optical drive + what?

Extra HDD?

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:10 am

AuraAllan wrote:However, I cant see why people would want anymore than 3 SATA connectors.

Extra HDD?
Personally? the new system I'm assembling this week will have two SATA HD's in RAID1 and one SATA optical drive. I'm debating over possibly adding a second, read only, optical drive to reduce wear & tear on the burner. And if I need more storage, it'll be going in as a further RAID array, so I can see why more than three would be wanted. That said, as I build this box this week ... I will be using just three for now. <shrug>

pat----

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 am

Hello,

Here's the Modu82+ models, and the Pro82+ models.

You can always add a Molex-to-SATA adapter, folks!

yukon

Post by yukon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

NCIX has the Pro versions listed, but not the modular versions. I am hopeful that both will be stocked, since I don't buy nonmodular PSUs anymore. Slightly more complexity inside the PSU, yet far simplified and safer outside it.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't buy nonmodular PSUs anymore. Slightly more complexity inside the PSU, yet far simplified and safer outside it.
safer? how so?

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:42 pm

jaganath wrote:
I don't buy nonmodular PSUs anymore. Slightly more complexity inside the PSU, yet far simplified and safer outside it.
safer? how so?
Once I built a machine and tucked the extra PSU cables on the side of it between the PSU and the door.

I was mucking around inside, and then decided to put the side panels back on... I'm thinking. WTF it's not screwing in (I was facing the front bezel and doing it by feel). It sounded like sand grinding...

So I turn the computer around.

The screw hole lined up perfectly and the screw was digging into one of the extra molex connectors! It was sparking so much I could see it jumping out of the holes.

I immediately shut off the computer and then re-shuffled the extra cables around, taping off the ends of the unused ones :oops:

yukon

Post by yukon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Wow, I thought I'd have to explain that later. Thanks Zoob.

The molex connectors are relatively good at protecting the electrical contacts, but it's shockingly easy for metal bits in the case to poke into the connector. I've seen equipment come with 3-pin bare connector wires hanging (so that another 3pin fan could be plugged in), and that'll easily short if the pins hit anything metal (eg. the case).

I'd assume that the extra hardware in the PSU obstructs some extra airflow. It also costs more to make plugs and cables rather than just soldering cables, and potentially complicates the design slightly. Reducing cables outside the PSU both reduces clutter and general airflow obstruction, but also reduces the number of loose cables with metal ends carrying DC electricity.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:16 am

Hello,

So, it all comes down to where you're going to store the extra cables? Inside the computer case (w/ a standard PSU) or inside of a bag/box (w/ a modular PSU)? For convenience, it would be logical to put that bag/box of extra cables -- inside the computer case. :?

yukon

Post by yukon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Well, I mean to say that it's a question of priorities. For convenience and money savings, nonmodular is the choice. If modular becomes standard, the price difference will equalize, and convenience will be of little advantage; surely you have a computer parts box, and ease of computer setup counts for something too (install, cable routing, tying, etc). Modular PSU cables means a more esthetically pleasing case (more orderly, sorted), far less chance of shorting equipment (if anecdotal counts, I've had it happen as has Zoob), and using fewer cables reduces airflow obstruction and turbulence (noise). Most nonmodular PSUs end up with a ball of cables behind the CD drives -- electrified plugs and wires interfering with large CPU heatsinks and the motherboard.

PSUs have gotten expensive and extremely varied for what they do. Because of this, I think it's time to try and standardize what we buy. Since the cost isn't higher for manufacturers, I have no idea why there are still 80mm-fan PSUs. Modularity has distinct advantages. The only way the Modu82+ fails my usual criterion is that it doesn't use a 140mm fan, but I haven't seen quiet 140mm fans yet despite their potential for besting 120mm fans.

Here's what NCIX Canada has listed-
http://www.ncix.com/search/?q=enermax+82

Enermax says it is "ATX12V v2.3 ready". Anyone know what the changes were to v2.0? I couldn't find v2.3 specifications when it was released.

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jerryk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:06 am

AuraAllan wrote:
Scoop wrote:I'm rather disappointed by the lack of connectors on the 425W model. Only 3 SATA connectors on one cord. Seasonic M12II-430 for the win.
I hear that alot.

Extra HDD?
I am planning a RAID 10 array (4 SATA drives).

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:11 pm

AuraAllan wrote:
I hear that alot.

Extra HDD?
Well personally I use dual optical + multiple sata drives, since one sata drive isn't really enough storage or flexibility for myself. So a minimum of 4 sata and preferably 6 is what I'd look for in a psu. Sadly molex connectors have become almost useless as I'm 100% sata and they only go into a couple 120mm yate loons.

Engineer

Post by Engineer » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Interesting to note that prices are falling. Pro82+ 525W can now be had for $103 at EWiz + shipping (16.xx for ground to me).

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-ERP ... 67c6afea9d

The 625W Pro82+ can be had for $128.xx + shipping.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-ERP ... 67c6afea9d

Note: Froogle links. Regular EWiz links have higher prices.