Enermax Modu82+ 625W died on me. :(

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Celoth

Enermax Modu82+ 625W died on me. :(

Post by Celoth » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:27 pm

I got my Modu82+ 625W this tuesday and plugged it into my waiting system and it worked just great. Pretty much inaudible. Then last night at 4 am, as I was running an overnight session of memtest86, the power went because a fuse blew. After changing a fuse I found out I couldn't restart the PC, and it looks like the PSU is the culprit.

I took the PSU out completely and tried turning it on using a little PSU tester thingy I have just for that purpose, but it's completely dead. So now I probably have to send it to Germany for a RMA. :( <sigh>

I sure as hell hope it's just the primary side that blew, and that it didn't fry anything else.

Edit: Just make it clear, it was the PSU dying that caused the power outage, in the sense that it caused the fuse to blow in my HFI-relay. No one else was affected, and the other circuits, like the stove and what-not worked just fine. It was all internal and specific to the circuit the PSU was on.
Last edited by Celoth on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:08 am

Are you using a surge protector or UPS?

Celoth

Post by Celoth » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:29 am

vick1000 wrote:Are you using a surge protector or UPS?
Nope. The power is usually very clean and stable here in Denmark, so no need. All the other electric devices attached at the time of the death were fine. I think it's the PSU that caused my fuse to blow, and not bad current from the outside.

Edit: Just make it clear, it was the PSU dying that caused the power outage, in the sense that it caused the fuse to blow in my HFI-relay. No one else was affected, and the other circuits, like the stove and what-not worked just fine. It was all internal and specific to the circuit the PSU was on.

Celoth

Post by Celoth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:12 am

Just a quick update: I went for a full refund on the Modu82+ instead of a replacement, and got a Corsair HX620 instead. Everything works fine in the PC, so the Modu82+ only blew out the primary side it appears, and protected the components. That's something at least. :)

Noisewise I don't really hear any difference between the two PSUs, most likely because the radiator fans (2x Noctua NF-P12) are currently running at 9V while I do all my overclocking. Once that's settled I'll slowly lower that until I hit that sweetspot between noise and cooling performance.