2 New DELL 255W Power Supply gets 80plus Silver

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

gammelgam

2 New DELL 255W Power Supply gets 80plus Silver

Post by gammelgam » Mon May 26, 2008 6:38 am

I saw on 80plus.org that DELL was recently awarded the Silver rating for two 255W PSUs. Efficiency was excellent at (very) low power draws.

http://80plus.org/manu/psu/documents/SP ... Report.pdf

http://80plus.org/manu/psu/documents/SP ... Report.pdf

Even better than the PICO PSU (in effeciency, not size).

/Emanuel

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon May 26, 2008 7:13 am

:shock: Wasn't expecting that from Dell!

Input: 60W, Output 57W, Efficiency:93.82! :shock:

I wonder how they managed that. Anyone know the difference between the two models? And what's up with the efficiency curve? It gets more efficient at lower loads? :?

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Mon May 26, 2008 8:36 am

i'm assuming it's just a dell branded PSU made by someone else. who usually makes dell's PSUs? fortron?

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon May 26, 2008 10:55 am

PSU makers have definitely been capable of making very efficient power supplies for who knows how long, but why would have they cared, when using cheaper parts has made them more money.

Consumers start to care about these things only after very simple standard rating systems are made.

Same thing with other home appliances, once they started to get standard ranking on energy efficiency, very soon all that ever gets sold is A rated.

It's about time it's starting to happen in PSUs too.

More importantly: How do I get these units?

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 am

Holy shit! I just noticed these bad boys on the 80plus website. My god, almost 94% efficiency at 20% load. That would be amazingly awesome efficiency for any spcr user with a low power/integrated gpu. I want one of those dell psus for my future raid box build. This just makes me wonder what's different about the dell psu's that makes it so much more efficient at low power. These are actually far beyond just "silver" due to the awesome bottom efficiency. I hope someone can do a teardown and figure out the construction and manufacturer soon :)

Strid

Post by Strid » Wed May 28, 2008 9:26 am

Anyone knows where one could purchase such a unit??

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Wed May 28, 2008 11:53 am

These people used to make Dell's PSU's http://www.pcpower.com/index.html Don't if they're responsible for those new ones. I believe PCP&C were bought out recently, was it Enermax who bought them?

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Wed May 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Sooty wrote:These people used to make Dell's PSU's http://www.pcpower.com/index.html Don't if they're responsible for those new ones. I believe PCP&C were bought out recently, was it Enermax who bought them?
nope.... OCZ bought them...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/disp ... 63735.html

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 pm

Uh unless I'm mistaken, pc power only made aftermarket dell units. Dell is too large to use a contractor like pc power for their oem psus.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed May 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Nice.

I was going to ask about fan noise on these PSUs, but with only 3W heat dissipation at 20% load these could probably run passive with minimum airflow.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat May 31, 2008 6:40 am

According to the test literature these are a custom format so they are probably used in current or future SFF systems. The only systems that I found in the UK with a P/S close to 255W are the Vostro 200ST and Inspiron 530S with 250W units.
It’s a shame as you’d need to buy a whole system to get one of these and probably couldn’t easily swap it out which seriously limits their availability until they eventually start appearing on eBay.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Sat May 31, 2008 3:54 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:Nice.

I was going to ask about fan noise on these PSUs, but with only 3W heat dissipation at 20% load these could probably run passive with minimum airflow.
Sure they could run passive at low loads, but considering it's dell oem, fairly certain theres a subpar fan spinning with a subpar fan controller for spcr needs. Not to say it won't be pretty quiet anyways.