Corsair 550vx Fan noise - Rattling

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ErickS

Corsair 550vx Fan noise - Rattling

Post by ErickS » Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi everybody.

I just wanted to share my frustration with this PSU, and see if others have encountered them as well.

I've checked online already, and have found some reports of the ADDA fan rattling in this model (They describe the noise as "An old movie projector", which is quite right), but heck - I really like to hear the opinions of SPCR people.
It's not a loud sound, but it sticks - I cannot cover it with anything else. In fact, when I turn up other fans, they just seem to amplify it, which to me is very annoying.
Maybe it's just me but I find the rattling extremely distracting - especially when I need to concentrate on quiet tasks, like programming.
Apparently, the PSU fan doesn't make that noise all the time, but I couldn't figure out what may be causing it (Or how to make it stop when it happens).
It's probably some issue with the fan controller. Stopping the fan, naturally, makes the noise stop as well. When it restarts, it keep rattling. Also, it's probably on the low voltage/speed. My system doesn't draw up enough power to make it spin faster.

On the Corsair forums they tell people to RMA such models, but seems like the people who follow that advice end up with another model that rattles.
They also advise to loosen up the screws on the fan grill, which I did (Nope, that didn't help. Too bad).

So, to sum it up - I don't want to void my warranty (5 years is a lot), and a technician from the store I bought it in told me they can replace it - Even with a 450VX (Which I know is built by seasonic). I am just reluctant to do so, since I know it's a good model (Besides the fan), it will leave me with no computer until they'll get a new part (Which can be a week, or more), and I always fear that a new PSU will be 'dead on arrival', or fry my mobo.

Do you guys think I should replace it? Did anyone encounter such noise problems with a 450VX? 550VX? Wanna call me a jerk for assuming that this model would be as quiet as the 450VX? All opinions are welcome 8)

P.S: To show that power consumption should be low:
CPU: Intel e8400 - 3.0Ghz Stock speed
GPU: Gigabyte GT8800 (700Mhz core, 920Mhz memory, 1700Mhz Shader)
Mobo: Gigabyte ga-ep35-3ds
Memory: 2Gb of Corsair (4-4-4-12, 2.1V)
HD: 1 80Gb Seagate Barracude 7200RPM - (It's 5 years old, and I like it ;) )
Fans: 1 Noctua nf-s12, 1 AC 120mm PWM
Plus, SATA DVD burner
And I will add a Creative X-FI Extreme gamer to the mix soon

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:55 pm

I have only one question. What kind of case is the power supply in?

ErickS

Post by ErickS » Sat May 31, 2008 10:34 pm

Ok - one question, one answer - It's a ThermalTake 'Matrix' (Steel, not Aluminium).

I turned the comp on just a few minutes ago, and It doesn't make that noise at all! This is gonna drive me nuts! ;)

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:43 am

OK, assuming you have a Matrix not a Matrix VX the specs say it is 5.68 kilograms and google says that is 12.5222565 pounds. It also says it is 420 x 190 x 480 mm.

For comparison a case I consider to be designed to reduce noise issues the Antec Solo is 431.8 x 205.7 x 470 mm and 9.2 kg / 20.3 lb.

So my first thought here is there isn't enough mass in the case you have to absorb vibration and any other sounds your fans/PSU might make.

I've heard some people suggest self adhesive vinyl flooring from Lowes / Home Depot as a cheap way to add mass to a case but I haven't tried it myself.

There are a number of products designed to do it that might be more expensive like Akasa Pax.Mate that you could consider if the thought of vinyl flooring turns you off.

Or you could always just buy a case with a higher weight to size ratio and switch your parts to a new case.

Essentially I'm suggesting that the reason someone might RMA a PSU and not see an improvement with the replacement is because they have a cheaply made case (as in thickness of the steel not necessarily the price they paid) and the case is transmitting too much of the sound that other cases are muffling.

Iron_Dreamer

Post by Iron_Dreamer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:01 pm

I just said screw it, and replaced the fan with an S-Flex, and 'tis all quiet now. I've only had one PSU fail on me (ironically a $200 PC P&C with a 5-year warranty), and considering that I only paid $40 for the 550vx, and shipping it in for an RMA would probably cost $10 at least, the potential loss of the warranty did not concern me.

I say "potential" loss of warranty, because the blown PC P&C I mentioned had been opened several times, and had the fan swapped (swapped again back to stock before RMA) and it was prompty replaced. So removing that sticker, and even changing your fan doesn't necessarily mean that you lost your warranty, at least that is my semi-related experience.

ErickS

Post by ErickS » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 am

Dhanson:
We'll see about that. I've ordered the 450VX.
On the box of my case it says 8.65 Kilograms net weight.
It's one heavy case though. I doubt it is the source of the problem.

Iron_dreamer:
So you weren't satisfied with the noise from your 550vx either? Was it making a specific sound, or just generally too loud to your liking?

I can't get a decent S-Flex in this country. All the stores have either the 800RPM version (Which SPCR said makes a... guess what - Ticking noise! So bad CFM + same annoying noise), and the 1600RPM minebea.
So Kudos to you for the fanmod. Really. Probably the best solution :)

wdelgenio

same problem

Post by wdelgenio » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 am

I RMAed my 550VX because the fan was making a clicking noise, very similar to a loud hard drive seek noise, in the fan motor assembly itself. They told me to loosen the screws and all that BS.
RMA comes back, same damn fan, same clicking noise. Spinning the fan manually, you can hear that the bearings are loud and the rotors wobble a bit. It's a really awful fan to begin with, regardless of it being faulty.
As soon as I heard the fan was bad after the RMA, I voided my warranty and put in a quiet fan hooked to the PSU's original fan power (spliced the cables). Works great now, but spcr needs to have a big warning about how the 550VX has an awful fan.

ErickS

Post by ErickS » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:01 pm

wdelgenio:
I agree. Or at least some note at the end of their 450VX review, mentioning that the 550VX is not built by seasonic.
I've read in other sites how wonderful the 550VX is, but these sites never mentioned this clicking noise.
I could've saved myself a lot of headaches (Literally, sometimes) had I known that.
Or maybe not. I hope the other model won't make that noise.

P.S - Can you confirm how much that clear plastic that they attach behind the fan is contributing to noise? I assume you removed it as well.
I have a feeling it does more bad, than good.

Iron_Dreamer

Post by Iron_Dreamer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:44 am

I wouldn't say my fan made a loud rattle, it was more like soft chattering sound. The problem was that it was not smooth sounding, and even though the volume of the chatter was not overly loud, it was annoying because it stood out from all the rest of my system. FWIW I had the same problem with a Seasonic S12-330. But I've also used other S12's and a VX450 that had quieter fans. I think it all comes down to sample variation.

For my own personal system, even a "quiet" or properlu working fan in those power supplies is still not as quiet as I'd like, and using the Scythe fan lets me get there. For others, as long as I get a good fan sample, there isn't any need to change it, as I've yet to meet a client who is as demanding about noise as I am.

ErickS

Post by ErickS » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:24 am

Well you've just described what I believe is the same noise, but in a different way :)
It isn't loud, but it wasn't smooth - Even louder constant noises do not interrupt my concentration, but the clicking/rattling/chattering is different.
It stands out, just like you said.

You must have very finely tuned ears :)
While I, in turn, envy the people who are oblivious to the sounds that can make me go insane. They are, in a way, the lucky ones ;)

Sugadaddy

Post by Sugadaddy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:02 pm

I took out the Adda fan in my VX550W and put in a Scythe Slipstream M (1200rpm). From what I've read, the PSU is giving it ~4 Volts, so it's spinning at around 600rpm.

Anyways, it's completely silent now. :)

ErickS

Update and resolution

Post by ErickS » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:21 am

Update and resolution:

Well, it's definitely not the case. Apparently there's enough Japanese steel in it to prevent vibration noises :)

Unfortunately, everybody seems to have run out of Corsair 450VX power supplies in this country. (Not joking. I've tried several places today. They're all out of stock, despite the fact that their sites say they have them).
So I had to, somewhat reluctantly, settle for a Zalman 460APS (Which is in the recommended list, but not quite as high as the 450VX), because it was available right now.
I was kinda put off by its review on SPCR, but... when I turned it up, I was just blown off by how silent the fan was.
I disconnected the bloody Zalman fan on my GPU, so I could listen more closely, and ... well, I couldn't hear my system at all! I was just wowed.

I might order the other Corsair some time in the future, if I'll feel frisky again, because I am really curious about it, but for now I'm satisfied.

And if anyone else encounters this problem: Keep in mind - it is definitely something about the fan controller, or the way it is positioned inside the PSU. It is not ok. You're not paying good money to suffer odd noises coming from your case!

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Re: same problem

Post by new2spcr » Wed May 27, 2009 10:39 am

wdelgenio wrote:I RMAed my 550VX because the fan was making a clicking noise, very similar to a loud hard drive seek noise, in the fan motor assembly itself. They told me to loosen the screws and all that BS.
RMA comes back, same damn fan, same clicking noise. Spinning the fan manually, you can hear that the bearings are loud and the rotors wobble a bit. It's a really awful fan to begin with, regardless of it being faulty.
As soon as I heard the fan was bad after the RMA, I voided my warranty and put in a quiet fan hooked to the PSU's original fan power (spliced the cables). Works great now, but spcr needs to have a big warning about how the 550VX has an awful fan.
I have similar experience as you, but with the VX450. Yes, simply spinning the Adda fan with your finger and it would produce that rattling noise.

I didn't want to RMA it though, why wait several weeks and possibly end up with another sample that potentially would make similar noise.