OEM PSU supplier claims new model with 90% efficiency

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

OEM PSU supplier claims new model with 90% efficiency

Post by FartingBob » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:11 am

Link

No details yet, but they are a big company even if we dont know the name, so i suppose its possible.
Even if it turns out just to be a prototype it would sill be a big step up for PSU makers.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: OEM PSU supplier claims new model with 90% efficiency

Post by merlin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:37 am

FartingBob wrote:Link

No details yet, but they are a big company even if we dont know the name, so i suppose its possible.
Even if it turns out just to be a prototype it would sill be a big step up for PSU makers.
Ok the small unknown part is complete bs to people with any psu knowledge. CWT makes a number of popular psu models. After seeing the Coolermaster with 88% efficiency, I'm not surprised there's a little competition for the 90% area. It would be awesome if true and not too pricey...I expect it'll definitely cost more to get such insane efficiency. I wasn't expecting any 80plus golds coming up so soon.

KyleSTL
Patron of SPCR

Post by KyleSTL » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm

I understand what he was saying, that Channel Well is not a well-known RETAIL brand, but is a very respected OEM for other retail names (TT, Cheiftec, XClio, etc). To a person outside the enthusiast community 'Channel Well' means virtually nothing since they are mostly OEM.

This news is quite exciting as I didn't expect to start seeing 80+ Gold PSUs for a year or so.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:49 pm

it doesnt specify if the claimed 90% effeciency is on 110v or 220v. 90% effeciency at 220v would only be around 85-88% at 110v, which while still high, isnt nearly as exclusive.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm

I guess without more detail we can't say...but I'd guess they were talking 115V. 230V isn't that exciting because I think other makers already have hit that mark. Anyways it'll still need to hit 87% at low and full loads also. I'm liking the fact it'll reduce the amount of cooling needed in the psu itself. Reliable psu's with very low speed pwm fans would be nice.