replacing a fan in the Corsair TX650...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

RaptorZX3

replacing a fan in the Corsair TX650...

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm

ok, i just want to know, if i DO have to replace the fan in the Corsair TX650 (for some reason on cold boot the fan is noisy, and the 2 times i powered it up i thought it was an electrical problem inside, but it's really the fan), which one would you recommend me to use?

i would surely use a molex connector to power it up since all 3 of the 3pins connectors are used.

and something else...is it possible that cold-booted fans can have a small "ssss" noise for a while?

i'm positive it's the fan because even in 3D games, the noise character doesn't change. That noise do seem to go off after when it warmed up inside.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 pm

I don't think it's a 3 pin fan. Look at the photos in the spcr review.
Adda AD1212HB-A7 [1] GL
1 = 2 WIRE PROTECTION BY IC NO THIRD WIRE FEATURE

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:39 pm

no i mean...if i have to use a different fan, i would use an external molex connector on my PSU to power it up

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:07 pm

Aleksi replaced the adda in his seasonic with an nmb-mat.
viewtopic.php?p=412854&highlight=#412854
That's what I would do.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:19 pm

when i'll be at this step to do that....do the fan have a plug or soldered wires?

i can just unplug it and then use a different fan and plus it on a molex connector...

right now i have 3 unused 120mm fan...well maybe 4:

-my unusued Scythe Ninja fan, model number: DFS122512L
-Noctua NF-P12
-Noctua NF-S12-1200
-used in my MicroATX media center: Antec Tricool (that came with my Sonata 2 case)

i can also use the "LNA" or "ULNA" that came with the Noctua fans too

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:38 am

Yes, unplug the adda fan from the psu circuit board and connect one of your fans to a molex connector from the psu. You will need a 4 to 3 pin adapter. The adda in the tx650 is a 2200 rpm high speed fan and it looks like your fan choices are low speed so I hope this solution keeps everything cool.

I would unplug the adda from the tx650 and cut the adapter off. Then I would solder the leads from and nmb-mat to the leads on the connector and plug in the new fan. That way, you use the tx650 fan controller.

Why not just send the psu back and have the ran replaced?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:00 am

Actually, if it was me, and I wanted to replace the fan, I'd use the header in the PSU. It has two pins, with a little plastic housing around it to allow the 2-pin plug on the fan to fit. Just pull off the plastic piece and you'll have 2 pins that any normal 3-pin fan plug will fit fine -- make sure you mark or note which is the RED / BLACK while the old fan is still plugged it.

The easiest way to pull this off safely is to heat the plastic piece a bit -- maybe with a hair dryer on high for 20-30 seconds. Then use needle nose pliers to gently ease the plastic piece straight up. I've done this dozens of times. Once in a while I've been too rough and managed to pull one of the pins off. That happens much more easily when the plastic isn't warm up first -- then it sticks to the pins more.

Why do this?

Because the fan controller in the Corsair 650 is a Seasonic -- they're the original top dog smart fan controller, which others have tried to copy and are only just beginning to do successfully. Why bypass one of the best features of the PSU?

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:14 pm

well i just checked, and my new Corsair TX650W have a squealing at cold boot because of the coils i think, as the components warm up inside, they dilatate and the PSU get quiet gradually. Seem like it's "coil whine" as some of you told me before. is the type of noise i have on my PSU is dangerous? (since it go away after a while...)

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:08 am

...anyone can answer me please?

i'm waiting for Corsair's answer, but i would like an opinion in here too.

EdT

Post by EdT » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:32 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:well i just checked, and my new Corsair TX650W have a squealing at cold boot because of the coils i think, as the components warm up inside, they dilatate and the PSU get quiet gradually. Seem like it's "coil whine" as some of you told me before. is the type of noise i have on my PSU is dangerous? (since it go away after a while...)
You got a TX650 too ? where did you get it and how much did you pay for it ?, I just got my at PC Concept for $100 today. I don't hear any squealing on mine, I am surprise how quiet it is, on second thought I think its more quiet then my dead Phantom which has coil resonance. Dam wished I had bought a Seasonic or Corsair before I lost all my money on the "Guaranteed to Die" Phantom !

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:09 pm

yeah i think they had the last Corsair TX650, i bought one and they had 1 remaining in stock

so i'll try to call them to tell them to order more so they can replace my TX650 right now, and not waiting for days to get a replacement.

i had the idea of going there on Thursday, but if they don't have one in stock, as i said i'll call as soon as possible to tell them to get some from their distributor. There's no way i'm gonna wait to get a replacement if they can have it in stock.

it's just a damn hassle to take a PSU out of a computer...

by the way. Antec only make good computer cases, but for everything else, they suck....i had a SmartPower 2.0 450W before, the one that came with the Sonata 2, and later replaced by a Seasonic S12 430W.

for some reason my S12 whines/squeals when loaded (3D games, etc...) with a more powerful videocard other than my old Geforce 7600GT.

And now this TX650 seem to have a whine problem on cold start. It might be a general PSU problem that happen on any computer, or it can be that this PSU doesn't like a component inside my computer, i don't know. One thing i know though is that whine problem seem to go away once i play a game for a while.