ok looking for the best power supply for around 100 bucks

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

versuviusx

ok looking for the best power supply for around 100 bucks

Post by versuviusx » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:23 pm

ok so i'm trying to find a great power supply that is close to inaudible.
i'm trying to make a computer for recording. so i need like no noise so when i'm using condenser mics i don't pickup any noise. i used to use long cables and put the computer in another room but now the computer has to be in the room so i need it ultra quiet. any reccomendations would be awesome. there are so many and i don't have time to just buy stuff and experiment. i just need to pick 1 and put it in and start recording.

extrabigmehdi

Post by extrabigmehdi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:36 pm

hi versuviusx,
here's the list of top sellers, sorted by decreasing rating at newegg , here.

And here's the list of recommended power supply at spcr.

Now compare both list, and the safest bet appears to be the corsair 620hx.

good luck

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:41 pm

since it will only be for recording, not gaming, HTPC or CPU intensive tasks, why not go pico?

extrabigmehdi

Post by extrabigmehdi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:46 pm

@xan_user
why not go pico?
ok, then he must indicate what is the wattage he needs.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:40 pm

extrabigmehdi wrote: Now compare both list, and the safest bet appears to be the corsair 620hx.

good luck
Except its about $70 over his budget.

The Corsair 520hx is a closer match at just $15 over his budget.

TheAtomicKid

Post by TheAtomicKid » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:07 pm

We really need to know what kind of system you'll be pushing with this to be sure, but as you mentioned recording, and not anything else, I'm going out on a limb with the following recommendation...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151032

I use one currently to power my active rig (long story)... it's holding a mildly overclocked q6600 with 8 gigs of ram and an 8800gts320 without problems, so I'm confident it will run your rig as well.

If you look around SPCR, there's even an article about the S12-II 380 as well.... it is VERY quiet.... but it's not fanless.

So, depending on your setup, I'd cautiously recommend it to try... with the original system mine was in, you basically had to sit next to the box to be able to tell it was running from sound. More than, say, 3-4 feet away, and it fades into inaudibility. (the only fans in the system were a 120mm antec tricool on low, and a 140mm tricool, same low setting... and the psu fan)

So unless your recording studio is extremely quiet... which frankly it should be, which is why I'm cautious about this... it should do you just fine. It's one of the most quiet, actively cooled psu's you can get your hands on.

It's also only half your budget, give or take.

Fanless would be your best option, but you need to have your case/cooling setup so it works well, otherwise you'll overheat the psu. Also, unless I'm mistaken, there's not a fanless psu to be had in that pricerange.

I definitely recommend you take the time to read some of the guides and articles here at SPCR, before purchasing anything, even on recommendation.

(edit: for one thing, your case setup/airflow/etc will affect how much noise your psu makes, even when everything else is the same)

TAK