:( A sad day...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

ChiefWeasel

:( A sad day...

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:06 am

...today my 300W Q-Technology PSU blew up :(

Woke up to find my computer off (left on last night ;)), no reponse from power switch, so i tryed another extension cable (thinking fuse may have gone). Plugged it in, and got a loud bang and sparks out the back of the PSU :( . Heres hoping it hasnt taken anything else with it. Took the cover off, and there is a loose capacitor (literally rattling around in the box) with nice burn marks.

So.... im looking for a new PSU now :) but im in the uk, and having trouble finding anything resembling a SilenX, nexus, or seasonic :( any ideas chaps?

Oh yeah and the kicker is its about one month outside the year guarantee :( Might give quietpc a call and see what they say.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:21 am

Ah, found the nexus 300W for £60 from halcyonics. Best ive found so far i think.

Marcus.Cali

Post by Marcus.Cali » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:22 am

Hi,

SilenX will ship to the UK for a very reasonable cost. I was also going to suggest Halcyonics but you have beaten me to it.

Marcus.

HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:26 am

Hi ChiefWeasel,
Wow - I hope your remaining computer parts survived the explosion :cry:

I got my Nexus NX-3000 in London from http://www.halcyonics.co.uk/ when I lived in North London. I picked it up myself, so I don't know about their postal services, but their personal service is quite good and they gave me a quick demonstration of it before I bought it.

They charge £57.58 inc. VAT for the NX-3000, according to their website.

Hope that helped you out. Good luck with your PC, mate!

HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:29 am

ChiefWeasel wrote:Ah, found the nexus 300W for £60 from halcyonics. Best ive found so far i think.
He-he.... I was obviously too slow to write my reply. That's what happens when you go out to make a cup of coffee in the middle of everything :lol:

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:38 am

Thanks guys, yeah with postage (from £3.75 i think it said), it should be just over £60 for the nexus from halcyonics.

Had a look at the SilenX from the states and Exoticpc.com said shipping was around $40 with 14dB PSU at $80, and 18dB at $60, couldnt find shipping info at silenx.com. Would rather stick with UK suppliers anyway i think, to keep things simple in case it doesnt work etc..

Ill send quietpc an email anyway, since they have a good customer service i believe - although i think i would be lucky to get any luck there since its over a year old, and i have taken the cover off so the guarantee sticker is broken :)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:30 am

STOP PRESS!!!!!!!!!

Have just checked my email and i had a prompt response from Paul at QuietPc.com. Despite it being out of guarantee, he not only said he would send me a new one out straight away, but also gave me a choice of Zalman, Q-Technology and the Nexus! Went for the Nexus :)

Needless to say im very happy about not having to fork out over £60 on a new PSU, but more so im absolutley amazed by the level of service offered by QuietPC! Cant express how impressive it is!

ChiefWeasel

:P

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:35 am

Just had another email from Quiet PC!

[snip]
==========================================================================
INVOICE
G Garrett T/A Quietpc.com, Brawby Grange, Brawby, Malton, YO17 6PZ, UK
Tel: +44 (0)870 321 4620 Fax: +44 (0)870 321 4621
VAT number: GB 742616634 Email: [email protected]

CARDHOLDER ADDRESS DELIVERY ADDRESS
'My Address details' 'My Address details'

Order number: N/A Wed 04 Jun 2003 14:32.06 GMT
Order weight: Approx. 2 kg Transaction ID: 0
Processed by: Jannine Lee Order origin: Email

Quantity Description Price,GBP Total
1 Nexus NX-3000 ATX Real Silent PSU 300W £ 0.00 £ 0.00
Subtotal £ 0.00
Delivery £ 0.00
VAT at 17.5% £ 0.00
========
Total £ 0.00
========

For terms and conditions, please see http://www.quietpc.com/uk/terms.php
All products are in stock and your order has been cleared for despatch.
We hope you enjoy your purchase and thank you for shopping at Quiet PC!'

[/snip]

How good is that??

'We hope you enjoy your purchase and thank you for shopping at Quiet PC!'

'No, thank YOU' comes to mind :D Needless to say i wouldnt hesitate to recommend quiet pc to anyone - infact i would positively encourage anyone to buy stuff from these guys! :P

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:08 am

Yeah, Quiet PC here in Canada (quietpc.ca) is great too. I was calling just to enquire about the Nexus, when they asked why I wanted it. I said because my Qtech one that I bought from them had a slight whine. They shipped me a brand new Q-tech PSU (an upgraded model with Active PFC) without any questions and no shipping charge. They may have even shipped me the Nexus if they were carrying it at the time, but they didn't until recently.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:49 am

Mobo is dead too :( HD is fine tho :)

Have booted Nexus psu using the old green/earth shorting trick, and it is very quiet! tho thats with little load hehe.

Taken a while to check it out as ive been in hospital for over a week, after being in a car accident the same day my nexus arrived! whoops!

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:34 am

Jeez, a week in the hospital? That's some accident! You must be a die-hard silencer to be more focused on your PSU than your injuries... hope you're doing okay!

al bundy

Re: :P

Post by al bundy » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:53 pm

ChiefWeasel wrote:...Needless to say i wouldnt hesitate to recommend quiet pc to anyone - infact i would positively encourage anyone to buy stuff from these guys! :P
Same here. I've had great customer experiences with www.quietpcusa.com every time I've purchased from them. Glad to hear you did too.

8)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:16 am

Radeonman wrote:Are you sure your mobo is dead and not just your chip?
The mobo doesnt even switch itself on, or the psu. Chip may be dead too :( but im hoping not hehe :)

Was getting bored to tears in hospital hehe, so anything to interest me :)

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:08 pm

Woohoo! Im going again now :)

Ordered an Abit IS7-E, and it has arrived and everything else (CPU and Ram) was ok (Graphics gone too :( but was about to buy a new card anyway hehe).

So ive got Ram running in dual channel now - which is nice :) Had to cut down the volts to the NB fan from 12 to 5 tho! CPU Papst is running at 5V too, and 1 Nexus and a Cuda IV. All very quiet as it is in the cupboard !!