Need new PSU for Antec P180 Case

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

redguard

Need new PSU for Antec P180 Case

Post by redguard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:03 am

Hello everyone.

I have problems with my computer : strange reboots every fortnight or so

I guess it's coming from my NeoHE 430 PSU. So i'd like to change it.

But i don't really know the PSU market and i don't know what to buy.

I'd like a not too noisy PSU (500W and +) i can use in my Antec P180 Case.

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:16 am

Corsair and PC Power & Cooling PSU's are decently built and not very expensive. Maybe you can post your PC specifications and requirements so people can recommend actual models?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 am

Enermax Modu82+ & SeaSonic FTW.

In the future, though. Please try the SPCR Recommended PSU list before asking a question like this.

And WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 am

edit: got confused which topic was which.

Anyways, why do you guess it's the psu? Could be power fluctuations. Windows automatic reboots. BSOD's.

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:15 am

psiu wrote:edit: got confused which topic was which.

Anyways, why do you guess it's the psu? Could be power fluctuations. Windows automatic reboots. BSOD's.
+1.
In my experience, random reboots most of the time are caused by anything but a bad PSU. If it were shutdowns or booting up issues, then I'd take a hard look at the PSU.
Tried fresh install? Could be corrupt drivers. Stress testing the CPU/RAM is a good diagnostic. These components go bad too, you know.
If you still insist that it's the Antec that's the culprit, I can vouch for Corsair's lineup although Antec's recent offerings (post True/Smart Power 2.0) are pretty good also. I myself use NeoHE 550W and have installed 3 Corsair VX450's in others' rigs.

redguard

Post by redguard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am

Well, to be precise, the computer shutdown and try to reboot but fail and go in loop trying to reboot and so i need to manually shutdown the computer.

I had already 2 fresh install and the automatic reboot is desactived. the drivers are ok.

Well i had some problems with a harddrive and my GPU but i don't think any of the 2 can shutdown the comp.

mishad

Post by mishad » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:48 pm

redguard wrote:Well i had some problems with a harddrive and my GPU but i don't think any of the 2 can shutdown the comp.
Over-OC'ing my GPU (ATI 9600XT) -- core or mem clock -- beyond the artifact level can cause the OS to spontaneously reboot. I assume that it causes crashes in the driver, which is running at ring 0 and thus able to do anything from corrupt memory (or, worse, disk) to resetting the CPU.

I guess in theory HD problems could cause equally bad crashes (e.g. if it causes a corrupted copy of some ring 0 driver to be loaded) but that feels like its less likely -- certainly I've no evidence of it happening.

M

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:03 pm

mishad wrote:I guess in theory HD problems could cause equally bad crashes (e.g. if it causes a corrupted copy of some ring 0 driver to be loaded) but that feels like its less likely -- certainly I've no evidence of it happening.
Windows can and does crap itself at the first sign of HDD problems. Any repeated read or write errors are enough to cause cause a BSOD. It's not exactly a robust OS.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm

run memtest86+ for at least 24 hours?
check mobo battery? (yes, i had one do the same till i put in a new batt)