PSU for new video card

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

PSU for new video card

Post by kittle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Last nite I got a shiny new GTX280 video card, but when I got it home, i found my current PSU is way underpowered -- the system would not even boot with the new card installed.

So I need a new PSU that will be reasonably quiet, and powerful enough to run my new card. Normally this is a simple task of searching the spcr reccomended power supply list -- except that my supermicro case has an oddball power supply mounting setup.

What it requires is a mounting bracket on the back of the PSU simmilar to the ones in these reviews:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article670-page2.html -- see the 1st picture on the page.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article280-page2.html -- again see the 1st picture on the page.

These brackets allow me to put screws into mounting poles in my case that hold the PSU in place. It doesnt have a mounting bracket on the outside like other cases do.

Ideas/suggestions where I can find such a PSU -OR- someplace i can find or make a mounting bracket?

Ideally I would like to use the Corsair TX650 off the reccomended PSU list.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm

i had to swap my old gateway's psu i just used the bracket off the old one and put it on the new one. The holes and screws lined right up.
Just make sure its the same length as the old one.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 pm

good idea -- except the brackets dont detatch w/o removng the entire backside of the PSU.

Im going to look into fabricating my own bracket -- but id rather not have to do that, my metalworking skills are lousy.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm

kittle wrote:good idea -- except the brackets dont detatch w/o removng the entire backside of the PSU.

Im going to look into fabricating my own bracket -- but id rather not have to do that, my metalworking skills are lousy.
I bet there'd be some on an old psu lying around at hsc in santa clara.

http://www.halted.com/commerce/index.js ... 5005499669

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817194022

Enermax is my PSU brand of choice. Every non-Enermax I've ever owned, including the one devilling my box right now, has failed. Every Enermax is still going strong (my glorious Liberty is still going strong after 3? years).

Could probably find a few more - I just searched for 1 6pin 1 6+2pin, and started checking solid brands.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wound up with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005

Picked it up at Fry's on my way home from work yesterday intending to start work fabricating a bracket to hold the thing in place. But so far a friction fit has held it securely.

PSU works great, nice and quiet. But now i have the normal GTX280 wind tunnel issues to deal with.

However, the friction fit wont last forever

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm curious - what do you mean 280 wind tunnel?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:13 pm

kittle wrote:
However, the friction fit wont last forever
Velcro?

3m double stick tape has worked for me as well.

kittle
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kittle » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Eyedolon wrote:I'm curious - what do you mean 280 wind tunnel?
The stock cooling fan on my new gtx280 sounds like a wind tunnel -- its Loud. Thats the next thing to be fixed once I get the PSU to stay put properly.
xan_user wrote: Velcro?

3m double stick tape has worked for me as well.
my case has a plastic shroud-like thing over the top. that gives a gap where I can drill some holes and run some cord to hold the PSU up.
or I will visit my hardware store and get some metal sheeting of some kind to make a bracket.

Eyedolon

Post by Eyedolon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:15 pm

They must use a different fan for the 280s. Neither of my 260s is loud, although one time one of them really ramped the heck up and did make some serious noise. Mine don't ever ramp up though, so possibly drivers? Maybe just manually set the fan to 30% or something.