new power supply roundup review at anandtech...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

setherd

new power supply roundup review at anandtech...

Post by setherd » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 am

Scoop

Re: new power supply roundup review at anandtech...

Post by Scoop » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 pm

setherd wrote:Artic cooling Fusion looks good.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsu ... spx?i=3516
I would like to disagree. Only one harness for SATA and one for MOLEX connectors, what a screwup for a 500W PSU. Even if the 90cm might be long enough to route to the HDD at the bottom and the DVD at the top of my case, I would prefer not to test it. The ripple and regulation is ok but the ATX cables are ridiculously short.

I would like to see SPCR take a look at that BFG if it's really as loud, and Tagan SuperRock if it's as quiet, as they say. Might as well throw in that I'd like to see a review of the Corsair HX450W. Make it happen! :D

setherd

Post by setherd » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 pm

:) it's always interesting how PC parts interest us. I am mainly looking at things from a HTPC point of view. I want a small quiet system. so I prefer the shorter cables.
now if i was building a gaming rig or file server, the artic cooling wouldn't cut it I think.

I also would like to see SPCR do an updated power supply test.

doveman

Post by doveman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 pm

I'd be interested to see an SPCR review of the Coolermaster Silent Pro 500W, which seems to stay quiet even at full load and is available for about £65

Whilst the PC I'm planning to build will probably not draw more than 300W max and there are cheaper 400-450W PSUs available, generally they don't stay quiet at such loads and I'd rather like one that does.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Yeah, something tells me I'd like it too. I haven't yet come across a power supply that is truly inaudible, not even under no load, and this might just be it.

Having said that I'm all against Arctic Cooling's use of the self-invented "Eco 80" logo which misleads users into thinking the unit is 80 Plus certified. They could be sued for that.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:46 pm

if a reputable company tells me that their psu is over 80% efficient- i'll choose to believe them, at least until a review proves them wrong.

and if not getting it officially 80plus certified reduces costs and lowers the price for me- i'm a happy camper.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 pm

The logo is too similar, though. I wouldn't feel right using it.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 pm

The AC PSU was only tested at 240v, this is why it looks so much better than everything else.

Performance wise, the BFG looked the best. Now if only they put a good fan controller in it. Though if your willing to void your PSU's warrenty and do a fan swap, this is likely the best option in the bunch.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Aris wrote:The AC PSU was only tested at 240v, this is why it looks so much better than everything else.

Performance wise, the BFG looked the best. Now if only they put a good fan controller in it. Though if your willing to void your PSU's warrenty and do a fan swap, this is likely the best option in the bunch.
It looks like all the PSUs in the article were tested at 230VAC. So at least, respective to the others in the group, the performance is comparable.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:56 am

jhhoffma wrote:
Aris wrote:The AC PSU was only tested at 240v, this is why it looks so much better than everything else.

It looks like all the PSUs in the article were tested at 230VAC. So at least, respective to the others in the group, the performance is comparable.
Yes all of them were tested at 240, but all the other ones were also tested at 120v. And the way they decided to lay out their graphs makes it appear like the fusion is way better than the others. They should have two seperate graphs, one with only 240v results and one with only 120v results, not have them overlap each other with very similar color schemes on the same graph.