12cm fan PSU to 8cm fan PSU mod?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

axee

12cm fan PSU to 8cm fan PSU mod?

Post by axee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Hi!

I have some cheap LC power 550W PSU and slip stream 800rpm in it. Surprisingly PSU stays cold even under load (or maybe just casing), but if ambient temperature of my room gets higher it starts buzzing. If I put hand on back grill, I feel almost no air getting out. So what component is getting hot in PSU, just heatsink or what? Maybe I can remove 12cm fan and mount 80cm fan (grill cut) on back? Will it work better?

Maybe your opinion? Thanks!

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Generally speaking, airflow in a psu with a 8 cm fan is more efficient, especially when the case exhaust is very close to the psu, stealing air from the 12 cm fan. However, the main problem is that the psu is receiving warm air from the case interior. A common mod is to duct the psu intake to an empty 5 inch bay with the face plate removed. That would work well along with the 8cm fan mod.

axee

Post by axee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I have it in my p182, sow hot air from other components isn't a problem. How fast fan should I get? I can accept maximum 800rpm (would like to see 600), will it be enough? Like NB Blacksilent X1, 80mm @ 5V?

I still have second thoughts about this mod, if old 12cm hole is uncovered fully, fan will cool only parts near it, so maby if I cover the hole and at the front of PSU (inside of computer), drill holes (a lot of them), I can provide airflow to all of components inside.

What do you think? Anyone has seen this before?

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 pm

When you say 800rpm do you have a 12cm fan in mind? An 8 cm fan is quieter at the same rpm. I wouldn`t go below 800rpm, with a good fan it should be inaudible anyway. My favorite 8cm fans are from nexus though I haven`t heard the noise blockers you mentioned.

As for the holes, I would copy the design of most 8cm fan psus: a series of holes in the front, near the pcb and some more aligned with the heatsinks.

Before you go into all this trouble, is it the fan that is buzzing because it`s increasing it`s speed or is it noise from the electronics?

axee

Post by axee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Definitely not fan, it is typical buzzing from power supplies (I control the fan:] ). Noctua NF-R8-1800 maby? On 5V it should spin at 800rpm (ULNA=5V???).