BFG GS-550 anyone?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

EvoFire

BFG GS-550 anyone?

Post by EvoFire » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Did I quick search and didn't find anything.

I just impulse bought this power supply from NCIX because it was for sale for only $40, can't really argue lol.

I was wondering how is it and if anyone has any ideas? The thing that caught my attention was the use of 140mm fan. That's the only reason I took the risk and bought it. I'm picking it up tomorrow, I'm just asking for opinions so I don't get any heart attacks when I install it.

PS: This is most likely going to replace the Seasonic Super Tornado 300W in my computer right now. My Seasonic has a CoolerMaster sleeve bearing fan swap and generally spins at around 600rpms, virtually silent, but its getting a little old and I'm worried that it won't take the onslaught of a dual core CPU dissipating 110W+ after overclock.

Ollie`

Post by Ollie` » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Trying to decide if i want it right now to. Can't find anything on the web about it (Other then Newegg reviews).

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:48 pm

I've been scanning around the net for reviews on this power supply. So far feedback has been good for its sister lines from BFG tech, so I'm hoping for good things. Its sister lines LS and MX are great for voltage regulation and DC quality, I think it should carry over.

Now on the notion of noise. I read the review from [H] so I really can't comment on their noise perceptions. The review says noise is great, however I'm taking it with a grain of salt right now.

It also seems like the GS isn't 80Plus rated like its sisters either. I'm not sure if its because its too new, BFG being lazy, or it didn't achieve satisfactory results.

Picking it up later this afternoon... report back in a week or so.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:45 pm

So I've installed the PSU in last night with a new dual core processor. Initial impressions are average. The fan seem to get pretty rowdy after awhile, and it is longer than my Seasonic. The PSU got into the way of my fan so I had to remove my top blow hole and slightly altering my airflow for the worse.

I'm currently considering a fan swap, maybe with a Scythe as they seem to be the only ones selling a 140mm fan locally, and they have some 550 or 1400 rpm ones that I can get.

Blappo

Post by Blappo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:30 am

How does the acoustics of the BFG GS-550 compare to your Seasonic Super Tornado 300W?

I have a Tornado powering an old Athlon 3200. The PSU is very quiet, however, if I unplug it from the wall (or use the hard power switch) then my mobo will fail to post (hangs during the detection of the hardware according to the diagnostic LEDs). I then need to power cycle the PC 3 to 50 times before it will post at which point it works fine until the next hard power off. An old generic PSU had no problems powering the mobo (although it actually sounded like a tornado).

I was considering the BFG GS-450 @ $30, but like you I couldn't find any reviews about the noise level.