Building Battery PS - problem with ATX power sequencing...

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Bertel

Building Battery PS - problem with ATX power sequencing...

Post by Bertel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:05 am

Hi,

I'm trying to power my computer motherboard (Gigabyte) with a battery power supply. Required voltages are all there - problem is to get the ATX power sequencing timed right...

Does anyone have experience in this field and has been able to implement this power sequencing requirements? There are quite a number of components out there for this (e.g. FPGAs like Actel Fusion, LTC2928 etc.) plus a number of highly sophisticated solutions (e.g. Agilent et al.), but I wonder if anyone knows of any readily available module I could use or anything that is already there and can be used as is - I mean every cheap ATX power supply has to do get this power sequencing right and has components designed in for this, so this shouldn't really be as difficult as it currently looks for me...

Many thanks in advance,
Robert

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sat May 02, 2009 5:44 am

Power sequencing? Not sure what you are trying to do here, but if your goal is to "power my computer motherboard (Gigabyte) with a battery power supply" then a Pico PSU might be what you are looking for.

Bertel

Correct, but... ;-)

Post by Bertel » Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 am

Hi,

yes, exactly, my goal is to "power my computer motherboard (Gigabyte) with a battery power supply". I am currently using a picoPSU, but the issue is that the pico only "passes through" the 12V line as is, but for generating +5V, +3.3V and -12V it is a switching power supply with all the downsides these bring light noise and interference etc.

I want to get completely rid of any switching PS, i.e. powering the voltage rails directly with battery power. To do this I need to turn on the rails in a specific sequence as dictzated by ATX specs (5VSB, then rails with defined ramp rate, then Power_Good no earlier than 100ms but no later than 500ms). For this "power sequencing" I need some module or tool that does just this part of power management but doesn't interfere with the voltage rails themselves. Haven't found that yet...

Thank you,
Robert

edh

Post by edh » Sat May 02, 2009 7:08 am

There are also specific car PC PSU's which will be better than a Pico PSU as they can operate under a larger voltage range and are more tolerant of supply problems which may be useful when running off a battery, seeing how a car PC does run off a 12V battery.

Bertel

Post by Bertel » Sat May 02, 2009 7:14 am

Hi Ed,

I have those +12V, -12V, +5V and +3.3V rails already clean and stable, no need for any more voltage regulation. The issue is the power on process as described as required by the ATX standard.

I have already thought of ripping apart a picoPSU or any standard ATX power supply to get this power management functionality, but the pico is just too small (hence the name ;-) ) and usually these features are "designed into" a standard ATX power supply so I could not locate and isolate them... *sigh*

Thank you,
Robert