Corsair HX 620: Automatic?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

yensteel

Corsair HX 620: Automatic?

Post by yensteel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 pm

As a person who's about to buy a new PC in just a week (finally) I'm currently eyeing the HX 620 as the PSU that I want to buy. The confusion I'm having is the PSU fan socket. I wanted to use the fan socket because I don't want manual fan control, and I also don't want to keep the PSU pegged at a high rpm. I'm also a bit wary about prying out the original fan socket.

So, basically I need to ask this:

Is this adapter:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=3597

compatible with the fan socket of the PSU?
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image ... 9sLmpwZw==

If possible, Then what is the recommended fan rpm that I should use? 1600rpm?

if not, Is there any other way?
Last edited by yensteel on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Maybe this is my ignorance, but are you talking about the PSU fan? The Corsair PSU fan is speed controlled based on the heat of the PSU, and it will likely stay at low RPM under most (if not all) operating conditions that you are likely to encounter.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:15 pm

The Corsair HX620 is regarded as a reasonably quiet PSU and the fan speed will vary according to the load on the PSU and its temperature. SPCR has reviewed this PSU.

However, if you think 22 dBA up until approx 300W load will be too loud for you (and the rest of your system would have to be pretty quiet for that to be the case), a fan swap may help.

I've no idea if those adapters you linked to would work. In my experience after doing a fan swap on my Zalman ZM600, it can be hard to reach the actual fan socket on the PSU's circuit board. I eventually gave up and cut the fan power connectors to the stock fan that came with my PSU. I then bought a 3 pin fan connector extension cord and cut off one end, then wired the red and black wires from the extension cord end to the red and black wires from the PSU, then connected my normal 3 pin fan to the re-wired connector.

There are guides to doing fan swaps somewhere in these forums, so have a look around.

I used a Scythe S Flex F 1600rpm fan as a replacement and I highly recommend this fan as a replacement fan. You could also look at a higher speed Noctua fan if you can't find an S Flex.

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 am

So people still connect the fan connector to the PSU.

A question:

If you are using the method of prying out the old 2-pin socket, then sticking the fan connector directly onto the two pins, How do you keep them in place?

max1391401

Post by max1391401 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:35 am

Hi, I did a fan swap for my corsair vx550 a few days ago. The little springy things (yes hard to explain) in the female connector hold it on firm. All you have to do is unplug old fan, gently remove the plastic bit and plug 3 pin fan in (just be careful about polarity etc). It holds fine. Put cover back on and you're done. Easy as pi