Modulat, straight-through quiet PSU?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

oldabelincoln

Modulat, straight-through quiet PSU?

Post by oldabelincoln » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:19 am

I've been very happy with the Antec NeoHE and NeoPower PSUs. My builds have yet to run more than 110W at the AC power meter, so I'm fine with the 430 or 500, which were easier to find than the 380. They are quiet enough for my purposes.

In addition to the system in the sig, I've just finished another system in a Solo, using a perforated top bay cover to feed additional air to a NeoPower 550. I used a 550 because it was on sale a year ago, and I didn't expect to see a lower power model on sale, and figured I could live with the inefficiency.

I love the convenience of modular connectors, and I use only two detachable cables. both with molex connectors, and I then use extension cables to feed into the case from the back of a P150/Solo, giving a reasonably clean build. I've only got one or two non-detachable cables to hide away when I'm done.

The straight-through design works well in a Solo case with a perforated bay cover (and filter) keeping the PSU ventilated. I tried a duct in the top bay, but found the PSU exhaust temp (measured by IR gun from a piece of paper taped to the PSU exhaust) was the same with or without a duct as long as the top bay was reasonably open. And I'm certainly happy with the P150/Solo as a case.

But...

The handwriting appears to be on the wall for this line of PSUs. Antec still has them on their web site, but doesn't sell them through their US on-line store. I can find them through shopping sites, but the prices vary insanely, and the lower priced ones are usually gone when I follow them up - usually the sign of a closed-out product. I know that Antec sells a Solo plus a NeoPower 550 as a Sonata version, but they've added some color trim to the case that I don't like at all.

So, in anticipation of having to find a new PSU line in the future (not needed just yet), I started looking around for a substitute for the NeoHE/NeoPower - a straight through, 300->550W, modular supply that's reasonably quiet and not too inefficient.

But none of the models on the SPCR recommended list match all these criteria - except the NeoHe.

Am I missing something in the recommendations list?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm willing to put up with a bit of noise if I must, as long as I can get the other characteristics I'm looking for at a price that's not too bad.

edan

Post by edan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:58 am

What about the recommended Antec Signature 650? (review) I guess it's only 79% efficient at your load, but it would be super quiet, it's straight through, and still available on newegg and Antec's web site :)

Maybe there's a better option for you... it just seems like there is more buzz around higher output PSU's then you are looking for :|

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 am

edan wrote:What about the recommended Antec Signature 650? (review) I guess it's only 79% efficient at your load, but it would be super quiet, it's straight through, and still available on newegg and Antec's web site :)

Maybe there's a better option for you... it just seems like there is more buzz around higher output PSU's then you are looking for :|
Edan, thanks for that suggestion.

I had looked briefly at the review before, and it had so many attached cables in the one photo I looked at that I didn't notice that it was in fact modular!

There appear to be at least 3 cables that are attached that I'd have to hide somewhere, and that's more than I like.

It does meet many of my criteria, but it's pretty expensive and is rated above what I am looking for, and considerably above what I am likely to need.

But you are right, Edan, it's surely a possibility. I just hope that there are also better possibilities out there. Thanks again for the suggestion.

edan

Post by edan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:33 pm

oldabelincoln wrote: There appear to be at least 3 cables that are attached that I'd have to hide somewhere, and that's more than I like.
That's true, the "modular" part is not particularly modular.
But you are right, Edan, it's surely a possibility. I just hope that there are also better possibilities out there. Thanks again for the suggestion.
I only suggested it because it's what I'm looking at, as I'm interested in potentially creating a channel for the PSU in a Silverstone TJ-08, assuming I go forward with my toy build.

At only 110W, maybe you could go with a PicoPSU? I thought MikeC used a 200W model in the recent Single Moving Part article. Maybe that's your next step since your power usage is so low :)

Good luck, in any case :)
Last edited by edan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

roadie

Post by roadie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:03 am

I use the same "straight through" method to feed my NeoHE with cool air, but use filters for the top two bays. I don't think there are any low power (and cheap) 80mm fan designed PSUs out there other than the NeoPower series. Obviously, the Signature or TruePower Quattro PSUs are overkill, both in terms of power capacity and cost. The Pico PSU may be a decent alternative.

edan

Post by edan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 am

roadie wrote:I use the same "straight through" method to feed my NeoHE with cool air, but use filters for the top two bays. I don't think there are any low power (and cheap) 80mm fan designed PSUs out there other than the NeoPower series. Obviously, the Signature or TruePower Quattro PSUs are overkill, both in terms of power capacity and cost. The Pico PSU may be a decent alternative.
The Signature 650 is off my list now because I just recently converted its 7.1" depth to mm and it's 180mm!! It won't even fit in the TJ-08 without hacking! It surprised me that it's longer than the Seasonic M12D-850 that the SPCR review said "was a little longer than normal" and it's only 160mm long :) I mention it because it seems like the Solo is not much bigger than the TJ-08, so it might be an issue there too.

Don't some of the P180-style cases have a slight channel below them in case you use a non-straight through PSU? I've wondered about building a small channel below a bottom-feeder PSU to the front optical bays to do the same thing... if it becomes an issue anyway :)