Another DA2 + pico question

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

osian

Another DA2 + pico question

Post by osian » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 am

So I have my DA2 brick here and I'm just waiting on a pico150 to arrive so want to get the brick ready to use straight away when the pico arrives.

From what I've read on here, to trigger the dells remote lead I should "shorted pins 1-4 together (blue and white), and pins 5-8 together (red and black). So, your Dell brick should always have the green light on when it is powered up."

Is this correct? Then I've got some screw terminals to connect the white 2 and 3 on the dell to white pico wire and the black 6 and 7 to the black pico wire?

I'm itching to get on with it lol

Cheers

osian

Post by osian » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:19 am

Got my pico now so any advice would be cool!

Cheers

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Re: Another DA2 + pico question

Post by reddyuday » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:47 am

osian wrote:From what I've read on here, to trigger the dells remote lead I should "shorted pins 1-4 together (blue and white), and pins 5-8 together (red and black). So, your Dell brick should always have the green light on when it is powered up."
That is right as far as the pins go. But it can pass 18 Amps of current through a single connector and PicoPSU lead, which is not recommended. In the thread Mating Dell DA-2 and Pico power supplies, I have a documented a toolless design for mating that is electrically correct. You might want to read that thread.

Uday

osian

Post by osian » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:29 am

Firstly thank you very much for the help!

It may just be me being tired but I found it difficult to follow your method! (I even drew several diagrams to help me!)

Are you saying that I should basically seperate the p4 power from the picos power? Or that I should use a different connector style?

Thanks again

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:30 pm

osian wrote:It may just be me being tired but I found it difficult to follow your method! (I even drew several diagrams to help me!)
Sorry, pictures would have made it clearer but I haven't had a chance to upload them yet. But if you get the connectors that I mentioned in my thread, you will find that there is basically a single way to do things.
Are you saying that I should basically seperate the p4 power from the picos power? Or that I should use a different connector style?
Separating the P4 power (CPU power) from the Pico's power may be necessary, depending on your motherboard's power draw. But my immediate concern was whether you were trying to pass too much current through the metal connectors that are not rated to carry as much current.

Re-reading your message, I notice that you were proposing to use screw terminals, which normally won't involve any "connectors". They are just a way to short a bunch of wires together and no current flows through the metal strips. In that case, there is no problem with their use. However, screw terminals can come undone if you lug the wires hard enough. Are you sure you want to butcher the existing connectors in favour of the screw terminals?

Uday