I am thinking of upgrading to the Enermax PRO82+ 525W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

capecodbackup

I am thinking of upgrading to the Enermax PRO82+ 525W

Post by capecodbackup » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:32 pm

power supply. I have the stock Dell PS that came with my Optiplex 745. ANy one with experience with this Enermax who can say how quiet it is? Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Dave

NefariousRat

Post by NefariousRat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:03 pm

I use a Pro82+ 425W in my system- close enough, I think. Unless you ramp the power load up fairly close to the max, you won't notice the fan noise. You might hear it, but it's an extremely soft, low hum, not whiny or obtrusive. I've been running this unit for about a year without any noticeable change in the quantity or quality of noise.

Of course, this does depend on the case some- I have an Antec NSK4480.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I now must determine if a standard ATX actually fits in my Dell Optiplex case. Oh Google, please tell me all :)

I think it does, but want to be sure. I think also that there is one slot that is proprietary to the Dell power supply, which, BTW, was something like 280 watts. But I am told that althouhg low wattage, the Dell;s are good quality. I mean, I would hoep so, as PS is usually one of the first things to go, and who wants to be always shipping out a new PS ?

Dave

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:20 pm

I've had bad experiences with two similar units: a Modu82+ 425W and a Pro82+ 385W. The Pro82+ has developed a very annoying "chuffing" noise after a few months of roughly 24x7 duty. It is not very loud, but easily the loudest noise in a quiet 2-fan, 3-disk system. Luckily this machine runs headless, so I could at least move it to the other side of the room. I am sure this noise is the result of a faulty fan bearing.

Fan swapping would normally be an option, but these units have a very unique speed control, which means that it would be almost impossible to connect a different fan to the existing (temperature aware) controller. OTOH, this system is never under heavy load, so I should probably just put in another 120mm fan at 600rpm and be done with it :)

My Modu82+ has emitted high-pitched chirping noises under load from the very start; it does not sound like coil whine to me (but I could be wrong), but definitely some high-frequency, highly annoying noises. Luckily, the Raptor disks define the noise floor in this system so I do not notice it too much.

Both units are roughly 1,5 years old. Other than the noise issues, the units are very stable.