Would you buy another Antec product after this incident ??

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

okayfine

Would you buy another Antec product after this incident ??

Post by okayfine » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:09 am

Ladies and gentleman, I posted an FS thread in the Classified section for a brand new Antec Smart Power 2.0 PSU units. Subsequently, a representative from Antec chimed in with a comment about their products. I'll let the thread speak for itself - viewtopic.php?p=492636

The ridiculouness of the their comment makes me think that perhaps Antec_Rep is not a real representative of Antec. Otherwise, why would you ever buy their products after something like this?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:20 pm

1. the comment about the new 2yo psu is stupid.

2. a new thread should have been started if he/she wanted to inform us about the fakes.

as offensive as the post is, i would still buy antec simply because they make a good product. kinda like buying from that computer store cause they have the cheapest prices but crappy service. we can't win them all.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Don't official reps have the "-- Vendor --" title under their user name? Do a search, it looks like there are three variations of Antec rep registered: Antec_rep, AntecRep, and AntecRepUK. Only AntecRep has the custom user title. This doesn't mean the other two don't work for Antec, but I'm guessing they are not officially supposed to speak for Antec on SPCR. Maybe they're just Antec employees that decided to register and offer advice and support in their free time.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Let the mods handle this one, sure looks dodgy tho.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:12 pm

We are going to look into this -- and we will add the "vendor" title if it is appropriate.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 pm

This mostly looks like a case of foot in mouth to me. The otherwise reasonably useful comment about fakes is ill-placed in a FS thread unless there are reasons to believe the items for sale are fake, and the new-old-stock comment, while containing a grain of truth, is not something you say as a company rep, especially in FS...

And this thread should perhaps be moved to site feedback?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Re: Would you buy another Antec product after this incident

Post by Firetech » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 pm

okayfine wrote:Otherwise, why would you ever buy their products after something like this?
Just because an individual proporting to represent Antec makes some ill-judged comments in a thread, you would cease to buy their product?

If you follow the line that you shouldn't buy product from a company that has 'less than eloquent' employees then I think you'll quickly run out of purchase options :wink:

PS - Good luck with the sale!

Antec_Rep

Post by Antec_Rep » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the confusion about this issue. There are a few reasons why I posted what I did in the other thread:

The models that are being sold are exactly the ones that we are seeing the knockoffs of in HK, so we are simply trying to warn people, not necessarily cast suspicions on the seller.

Also, any power supply that simply sits unused for years at a time will suffer gradual degradation in the capacitors, and this happens with PSUs of every brand. :)

Hope this helps. I will post a clarification in my other post as well.

Thanks,
Antec

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Can you also please clarify your relationship to Antec?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:09 pm

wow, it must be embarrassing for the guy who said your comment was stupid... :D
i apologize for that, it wasn't very nice and completely uninformed.

i'm not convinced though, is the capacitor degradation really fast enough that it would be surprising for a brand new psu, that's been unused for a couple of years, to work right out of the box?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Ha, if someone would like to test capacitor degradation, I have a tandem 600W power supply (pair of 300) (redundant unit, massive size, very heavy) that i could donate. I can guarantee that it hasn't been plugged for any reason whatsoever in at least 18 months.

or if someone has a portable PSU tester that can check voltages, i'd gladly put this theory to the test.

The PSU itself is also maybe 10 years old, possibly older.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:52 am

Electrolytic capacitors most certainly do degrade if left unused, however this takes quite a long time - about five years before significant degradation occurs. Solid electrolyte capacitors have a much longer shelf life.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Antec PSU 'best before' date?

Post by Firetech » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm

If it is as big an issue as the (alleged) Ante Rep states, maybe Antec need to start putting a "best before" or "use by" date on all of their PSUs - just like Sainsburys et al do with their tins of Baked Beans! :lol: