Need to pick a PSU for Antec P183 / 200W system

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

MadHarry

Need to pick a PSU for Antec P183 / 200W system

Post by MadHarry » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Buggar it! Fed up looking anymore for cases so bought an Antec P183. Among other things I like the way the PSU has it's own compartment and is at the bottom. Just need to buy a PSU but not sure which. I'm thinking of getting a Nexus Value 430 but need some reassurances.

1) Standard ATX PSU's with 120mm fans seem to have their vertical fans very close, like 1cm from the bottom or ceiling of the PSU compartment. Possible source of noise or air restriction?

2) If I install a standard size ATX PSU, do I still need the lower front 120mm case fan? I don't want another fan to cool a PSU that has it's own fan!

3) I could get one of those proprietary size Antec PSU's but the power ranges of 600W+ seem over the top to me and are they quiet?

Plissken
Friend of SPCR

Re: Need to pick a PSU for Antec P183 / 200W system

Post by Plissken » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:13 pm

1) If the compartment dimensions are the same as the P180 (and I think they are), don't worry about the small gap with a standard PSU.
2) The function of the lower fan is to cool hard drives in the lower compartment. Unless you have it packed with 3 or 4 drives, I would leave it out, since the PSU fan will also draw air over them.

flinx

Post by flinx » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

The Antec CP series is quiet, but the power they deliver is overkill for most uses.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page6.html

They're fairly cheap though, so if you know you need the extra juice they provide, you can't go wrong with one. The Nexus Value should be enough for most people though. I can hit 330W peak with my system if I load up all 4 cores (Q9450@3Ghz) + 5870 video card in OCCT for instance, but that's about it. you could probably put a 5970 in there instead, and the Nexus would still be enough. It's really only when you go for dual video cards that you need a more powerful PSU.

The only other reason to get a more powerful PSU is if you're limited in brand selection and the fan ramp-up provides more favorable results.

LM741C

Post by LM741C » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi, I have a P182 case and use Enermax Modu82+ PSU. I am very happy with the PSU.

I have four drives in the lower bay so I kept the fan in the middle, otherwise I don't think it's necessary specially if you're not going to place any HD's in that section.