Anyone tried an AD-04B or an AD-05B ?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Would these foam-padded external ducts reduce noise?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 am

Yes, Direct-Path noise is the biggest problem in most PC's.
25%
Yes, Restricting the airflow a little can slow fans down that you can't control (like in the power supply).
No votes
Perhaps, the high-frequency will be controlled but low-frequency noise will still get out.
No votes
No, they will not make a noticeable difference.
75%

Total votes: 4

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Anyone tried an AD-04B or an AD-05B ?

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:28 am

Lian Li is trying to tackle the problem areas that make case damping so hard: the power supply and vent holes. They have two products, one for the power supply, the AD-05B, and another for the 120 mm vent fan (AD-04B).

Both bolt on from the outside, so they should work with any product that uses the standard screw-hole pattern. This should help people who have standard (Non-Lain-Li) cases.

They are $25 each, so that is cheaper then a new power supply but more expensive then a new fan. I'm thinking of getting them for my "Silent" GameXstream 700 watt (as it is cheaper then a new PS). I also have a no-name 120 mm rear vent fan that could be less noticeable.

Anyone using one?

Anyone tried building something like this before?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:52 pm

It's going to block the heat coming out of the power supply from going upwards (as heat rises), so the power supply duct may actually lead to increased system temps.

As for the exhaust fan one, well, it could have the same effect, but I wouldn't think it would be nearly as drastic.

Dr. Jim Pomatter

What about MAGNITUDE of the forces?

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:36 am

The force of hot air rising is really low/weak compared to the force of a fan blowing. I don't think that these damping vents should be dismissed because they aim "hot" air down. (This is not gas-burner hot, just 35C exhaust in a room that is 25C.)

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 am

Seems like too niche a contraption. Imo it's a bandaid solution (expensive one at that) for a noisy rig that has the rear of the case facing towards someone's bed.

I think I'd rather:

a) build one myself from material lying around (eg. layers of plastic stuck together and some thin foam on the inside, then spray paint outside black, or cover with black tape)
b) build a similar contraption that covers the entire rear of the case, and allows warm air to vent at the top/rear of the thing (those Lian Li contraptions don't cover the expansion slots after all)
c) go without it (eg. if the case is setup against a wall, then muffling noise coming out the rear of the case would be the least of your concern)

Thoughts?

@Dr. Jim Pomatter

For your situation, I'd honestly just buy a new, quieter rear exhaust fan. And also a new PSU. I'm sure you've already considered selling your current 700W unit to offset the cost?

$$$ allowing, it'd be better to do it right once and for all, instead of just putting an expensive Lian Li bandaid (or two...) on it. :)