Seasonic X-650 vs S12II 520w noisewise?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

antux

Seasonic X-650 vs S12II 520w noisewise?

Post by antux » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:27 pm

So I tried replacing the fan on my Seasonic S12II 520w, since the one built in was getting noisy. However none of the fans I tried as a replacement would spin up at the low voltages the controller feeds them.

Since I thus successfully voided my warranty and can't find any sources to buy another ADDA fan, I thought about getting a X-650.
Does anyone know how well it performs noise-wise compared to the 520w?
My peak power draw will be around 360-400w, but I've listened to the X-650 noise samples from the SPCR review and it sounded pretty noisy around those load levels too.

Of course I also had a look at the X-400/460 fanless which is said to be able to even handle much higher power draw, however I think it would get quite hot, since my case is not all that open.

So, in short: Will the X-650 be an upgrade noise(less)-wise from the S12II 520w?

m0002a

Re: Seasonic X-650 vs S12II 520w noisewise?

Post by m0002a » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:26 pm

antux wrote:My peak power draw will be around 360-400w...
That sounds very high. How did you calculate that?

antux

Post by antux » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:35 am

m0002a wrote: That sounds very high. How did you calculate that?
You're right, I measured the power draw at the wall socket to be around 360w at max load and forgot that the actual wattage drawn from the PSU is lower.

So taking into account PSU overhead, it should be at around 300-310w in extreme situations.
Maybe I should go for the X-400 yet?

wouterr5

Post by wouterr5 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:34 am

So I tried replacing the fan on my Seasonic S12II 520w, since the one built in was getting noisy. However none of the fans I tried as a replacement would spin up at the low voltages the controller feeds them.
And that's a problem because? :)

If the heatsinks in your PSU heat up enough, your fan will be receiving more voltage, and it will spin up eventually :P So, it will be semi-passive like a x-650.

If you're worried about your PSU, use a diode to get 5v or sth like that to your PSU fan - so that it always runs at 4.4 volts, unless the PSU thinks it should run faster.
Your PSU is an excellent performer - if you're only looking for improvements in noise level, you might as well try some DIY - your already voided the warranty anyway.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:31 am

What kind of fan did you use in your PSU? The most recommended fan is the Scythe S-Flex 1600 RPM, I'd add the Arctic F12 as I saw it start with as low as 3v, plus it's rated for an even slower speed at 1500 RPM.

antux

Post by antux » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:29 am

I tried a Scythe Slipstream 1600 rpm and 1900 rpm, and some Noiseblocker fan (which isn't great anyway).

I measured the voltage at startup, and it is just above 3v, the S-Flex 1600 has a starting voltage of over 4v, so I guess that it would have the same problem?
On the other hand, the PSU would raise the voltage of course if things get hot, so as wouterr5 said, it is probably not a real problem.

I might just try it out, as the PSU seems to have an emergency shutdown if it gets too hot.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:12 am

antux wrote:My peak power draw will be around 360-400w, but I've listened to the X-650 noise samples from the SPCR review and it sounded pretty noisy around those load levels too.

As far as I know the X-650 should still sound less noisy than any S12-II at those level.

As far as I know among SPCR favorites the ones may offer a substantial improvement at that level are: the Chill Innovations CP-M (if you may find them), the Antec CP-850 (noteworthy only if you have an Antec Perfomance recent case), the Enermax 82+ and 87+ series, the Nexus RX/NX Silent series (the recent revision 3, I guess), and the older Seasonic M12D/S12D and Antec Signature (I would add the XFX Black Edition, but it isn't among SPCR "certified" PSUs: it's a "clone" of the M12 platform).

Even the venerable (and cheaper than those quoted above) Corsair HX-520/620 (if you may find them out) might offer slightly better performance than the S12-II (while the Seasonic based Corsair TX models seem indeed an equivalent of the S12-II), and so also the Cooler Master Silent Pro M-series.

However, as said above, IMO the X-Series seems more than adequate (euphemism) at any power level, comparing to the S12-II/S12-Energy Plus, even if the bigger X-750/X-760 could maybe work just a tad quieter than smaller brothers (the quoted X-650 but also the forthcoming X-560), around those 400W.

I would recheck your power requirement and consider even the X-460FL (if it may be suitable).

Regards,
Luca

antux

Post by antux » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 am

What's with those posts?

Anyway, I put a Scythe 1600rpm into the "voided" S12II and I'm now using it in my secondary rig, that has pretty low power draw.

I actually went all out and got a X-750 for my gaming rig, and wow, the fan never even turns on even at full load (only for a few seconds at power on).
I was even worried for a while that it might be broken.

Actually I still find it weird, because Seasonic says that from 20%-50% the fan should be spinning at a low speed, but as long as it doesn't emergency shut down, it's alright, I guess.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:29 am

Some of these fans can be re-lubricated with a single drop of oil and make them quiet again. Did you try that with the original fan?

Replacing the fan was just unplugging the old and plugging in a new one? Or did you have to re-solder connections? Did you take any photos?

antux

Post by antux » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 am

Rebellious wrote:Some of these fans can be re-lubricated with a single drop of oil and make them quiet again. Did you try that with the original fan?

Replacing the fan was just unplugging the old and plugging in a new one? Or did you have to re-solder connections? Did you take any photos?
Yes, I tried oiling the fan bearing directly (under the label), but it didn't really change anything.

No photos, however a few things to consider:
The fan is connected to the PCB using a 2-pin mini molex plug, so you will need a 2-pin to 3-pin adapter for the replacement fan.
Other than that, you basically just pull out the plug, remove the fan, screw in the new one and connect it using the adapter (which can be hard since there is a lot of stuff around the connector on the PCB).

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:21 am

antux wrote:
Rebellious wrote:Some of these fans can be re-lubricated with a single drop of oil and make them quiet again. Did you try that with the original fan?

Yes, I tried oiling the fan bearing directly (under the label), but it didn't really change anything.

No photos, however a few things to consider:
The fan is connected to the PCB using a 2-pin mini molex plug, so you will need a 2-pin to 3-pin adapter for the replacement fan.
Other than that, you basically just pull out the plug, remove the fan, screw in the new one and connect it using the adapter (which can be hard since there is a lot of stuff around the connector on the PCB).
Sometimes you can simply pull out the plastic 2-pin molex, exposing the 2 pins, then use standard 3-pin connector with 3d pin unused.

I've found that sleeve bearing fans don't last long in horizontal position. One of my M12 has gotten noisy, if I replace the fan I'll try use one with ball bearings.