Annoying whistling from computer when internet browser is on

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Leopardi

Annoying whistling from computer when internet browser is on

Post by Leopardi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:36 am

Any kind of use like moving the mouse (only if USB speed is clocked high), produces a whistle sound. Right now its giving a constant *whiiii*, and if I close firefox the whistling immediately stops. Could it be the PSU (Seasonic X-750)?

jhhoffma

Re: Annoying whistling from computer when internet browser i

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:03 am

Yes, it can be the PSU, it can be components on your video card, and even the monitor. Usually, it's on pages or screens with lots of white content. All I can say is that if it's the monitor, make sure it's up to the highest brightness level. Also, if you monitor is a CRT, you'll have to get used to it (analog sucks).

Leopardi

Post by Leopardi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:36 am

It comes from the computer. When I press hard the 24pin motherboard molex it shuts up. Can it be the motherboard? It's also a highly positional sound, and reverting to stock clocks silenced it down to some extent.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:17 am

It's likely coil buzz on one of the mobo components. It's common enough, especially when components are push with extra voltage. There have been various attempts at solving this problem, including covering the component with hot glue.

I'm skeptical if they have ever actually worked.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:59 pm

Agree w previous poster - some kind of electronic whine, really hard to get rid of.

/ d

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:34 am

I had one motherboard with exactly the same behavior which stopped after changing some components (video card and psu). If you have some spare parts around it might be worthwhile to try and play with different configurations and see how that works out.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:52 am

I've had experienced similar situation a few years ago when using Gigabyte 2600XT video card. The card would "whiii" if I were to browse animation-heavy sites, but it wouldn't "whiii" if were to browse no-animation sites. Ultimately, I've ditched the card in favor of ASUS 3650, and the problem gone forever.

Just for your reference. You've to figure out the source of electrical buzzing sound in your system.

Hangfire

Post by Hangfire » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 am

Try pressing on each coil in turn with a pencil eraser until you find the offender.

Besides hot glue, you can try wrapping the noisy coil tightly with a cable tie. (Do this part with the system OFF).

Another possibility is just RMA the M/B, but that is a hassle, especially if you have no spare computer.

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

Pressing down the ATX power connector firmly causes the whine to stop, weird...
How much power overhead does you PSU have on your system? Maybe there isn't enought to keep a decent voltage on the ATX connection (connectors cause voltage loss), causing some coil to scream in terrible agony, as it sits there, deprived of it's lifeblood and unable to do anything about it, restrained and tormented (by you, you monster!)...

Oh wait... 8) Erm, just post your system specs, maybe that could help us solve the problem.