New Build Power Recommendation

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Kurso

New Build Power Recommendation

Post by Kurso » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 am

My motherboard just died in my trusty Core Duo machine I have had since 2007. Time for a new machine!

Noise is my #1 concern. Heat is a close second. I run the machine in my home office. I have a number of other machines in the room and when I'm on conference calls I need to limit ambient noise. The room is also at the end of the AC run and the end of a hallway, meaning it's not particularly well ventilated. With all the 'stuff' running in this room it does get warm so I crank my ceiling fan on high all the time, which just adds to the noise.

The application for the machine is basically gaming. MMOs mostly but also the occasional RTS/TBS. No shooters, so FPS is not a huge concern. Also, I don't overclock. In fact my 2.4Ghz E6600 with a 260GTX performs just fine for what I use it for.

I've selected a couple of components I'd like to put into the system:

CPU - Sandy Bridge i7-2600S for the lower TDP (65W) assuming they are available in Jan/Feb. If not I'll have to buy a standard i7-2600 and swap it at some point.

GPU - A 460GTX. BTW, I'm not tied to Nvidia. I've just been using them since I switched to RIVA from my Voodoo2 so long ago. If ATI can give me similar performance at lower power/cooling I'm all for it.

RAM - 8GB, nothing selected yet

HDD - 2x SSD drives. The bulk of my storage is actually network based so no need for vast storage in the machine.

MB - Gigabyte something or other. I haven't seen much in the way of Sandy Bridge board specs yet.

Sound - I usually add a X-Fi. Will really depend on the MB though.

So, with all of this I really want a fanless PSU. Is the Seasonic 460 up to the challenge or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance!

Fire-Flare

Re: New Build Power Recommendation

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:15 am

I'm using a similar setup powered by a Nexus Value 430 with a dual core AMD and a Sapphire 5670 Ultimate graphics card. (A fanless model that draws all necessary power from the PCIe socket, I strapped a fan onto the card with a silicone dampener to keep temps down) the system plays StarCraft 2 with all but the audio settings maxed out. I only hear the fans when something distracts me from gaming. ^^

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: New Build Power Recommendation

Post by lm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Your proposed system will run fine on that PSU.