Which of these two seasonics for a low power build?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mdchaser

Which of these two seasonics for a low power build?

Post by mdchaser » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi, I'm going to be building a low power server here soon (sandybridge 2500 or 2500s/t if available) and I have two power supplies I can pop in the machine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151086

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151097

I am hoping the system will draw < 50W at idle (where it will spend 99% of its time). The 300W ET is lower power which is generally good for this kind of build but only rated at 80+ bronze while the 400W X is 80+ gold. The X is also fanless and has modular cabling both of which are a plus (bottom chamber of a p180 mini with only an ssd for company, heat shouldn't be an issue). I own both so they are basically my only options, what do you think?

Worker control

Re: Which of these two seasonics for a low power build?

Post by Worker control » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Either would be fine, I'm sure. I bet the 400 can handle much higher loads than the 300, so maybe use the 300 for this build, and use the 400 for a higher-power one? Using the 400 for a higher-power system would make better use of its efficiency.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:07 am

They will both do.

You'd have to try them out and measure power consumption to find out which one is more efficient in your scenario. I doubt there be any noteworthy difference. (seriously, who cares about 2 watts)

The X-400 is passive. So it's quieter than the 300ET. If that matters depends on your preferences. But it won't help case ventilation. If that matters depends on your preferences, too.

What happens to the PSU that's not going into the server?
The X-400 will bring in a lot more money if you put it on eBay...

mdchaser

Post by mdchaser » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:32 am

Hi, thanks for the input! The PSU I don't use will go in the closet, the 300et is not worth enough to get rid of and would make a good backup power supply (always good to have at least one around in case something fails). Reading the reviews it looks like an i5-2500k paired with the q67 chipset draws 34watts at idle!!

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:53 pm

I'd say it depends on how much you care about noise level. With the build you described the power supply will be the loudest component. Can you accept Seasonic S12-like noise level for this build? If you can, use the ET, but I'm not sure the motherboard cables are long enough for bottom mounting. As far as durability the ball-bearing fan in the ET won't wear out anytime soon.

mdchaser

Post by mdchaser » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:59 pm

line wrote:I'd say it depends on how much you care about noise level. With the build you described the power supply will be the loudest component. Can you accept Seasonic S12-like noise level for this build? If you can, use the ET, but I'm not sure the motherboard cables are long enough for bottom mounting. As far as durability the ball-bearing fan in the ET won't wear out anytime soon.
Just finished the build and went with the x-400, no noise and it barely heats up. The hard drives are the loudest part of the system, it should be completely inaudible where I have it sitting. When all is said and done the machine idles at 33-34W with all drives spun down and 40 with the raid array running. Better than I hoped for and essentially silent!