"Fully" Modular PSUs

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Woland

"Fully" Modular PSUs

Post by Woland » Tue May 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fully modular PSU (one that has no captive cables at all) that's quite and relatively cheap? I have a Lian Li V350 case that's a little challenging for cable routing/storage, so I bought a Seansonic M12II-520 for it. It has a built-in PCIe graphics card power cable, though, and I had to add SATA power adapters, making it's modularity not so valuable for the cramped V350. I figured I would re-purpose the M12II for an up-coming build and find something else for the V350. Power ouput isn't a concern, as it'll be running pretty low power components and won't need added PCIe power. Anything out there that's quiet and comes in at about or less than 100 USD?

fumino

Re: "Fully" Modular PSUs

Post by fumino » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:02 am

the only psu that comes to mind is the Silverstone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W. it'll run you about $80, and if you want the short cable set thats another $20... but it would seem like a reasonable choice.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 am

fumino wrote:the only psu that comes to mind is the Silverstone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W.
I have one of these. Others may have had better experiences, but mine needed a fan swap to be even remotely tolerable. The stock fan was beyond appalling, I thought I'd been teleported back in time a decade.

The good news though is that the fan controller is on a mini-PCB that's readily accessible, it's easy de-solder the stock fan and replace it with something more to SPCR standards.

That said though it is a nicely compact PSU, and the fully modular nature is very useful in the small case it's in (PC-Q08).

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 am

Seasonic X-560 is $125, which I know is a bit over budget. X-650 goes on sale for about this price, too.

You could go the cheap route and buy this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182202
and just cut (and tape off) the cables you don't need.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:32 am

Fully modular is kinda rare at really low prices. Like Andy said, the X-650 goes on sale sometimes. That would be a definite best buy if it ever goes to $99 again. Otherwise i'd say look for a sale on one of the high end fully modular seasonics or seasonic-derivatives.
Oh and woland, looks like you live in the same area as me :)

Woland

Post by Woland » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for all the input, guys. The Seasonic X-560 is probably what I'll end up getting. It's the PSU I was tentatively planning to use, anyway--I'm pretty fond of Seasonic, so, whatever, they can have a little more of my money. I was hoping to save a few bucks, if possible, but if I have to spend a little extra, it's not too big a deal. I'd rather spend the money on a PSU I know will perform suitably and be reliable than roll the dice. If the X-560 dropped to $99, I'd probably pick up 2, even though I probably won't build until July, and the second one would just sit around until I plan out another build for the fall.

I really like the idea of a short cable set, though. Are the cables universal, or is there a proprietary connector on the PSU end of the cable? Pretty much all my cases are small, so it would be really cool (to me, anyway) if modular cables became standardized so I could pick and choose the right sizes. I'd be willing to pay an extra $20-30 for cables on top of a PSU if it wiped out a lot of cable clutter.

Are you a San Francisco-an, merlin, or a Bay Area-er? I've been here in SF for about five years now (moved out from the Midwest), but I still have trouble thinking of it as home. I think this place is so unique and peculiar that, if you didn't grow up here, it'll always feel a little foreign.

fumino

Post by fumino » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Woland wrote:I really like the idea of a short cable set, though. Are the cables universal, or is there a proprietary connector on the PSU end of the cable? Pretty much all my cases are small, so it would be really cool (to me, anyway) if modular cables became standardized so I could pick and choose the right sizes. I'd be willing to pay an extra $20-30 for cables on top of a PSU if it wiped out a lot of cable clutter.
the silverstone cables can work with a bunch of their psu, from that 500w all the way up to a 1200w gold psu. they do use a seasonic design for the line, but somehow i wouldnt count on the silverstone cables pluging right into say, a seasonic psu.

however, since they are fully modular, if you werent afraid of a bit of repining(its easy), then you might be able to get away with having a seasonic psu with custom cables... always an idea i guess.