What not to buy & what I ended up with

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

tanassi

What not to buy & what I ended up with

Post by tanassi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 pm

So I was building this new pc :)

For PSU I tried to following (in chronological order, with many runs to the post office):
Corsair 1200 AX: coil whine ahoy, horrible horrible, fan ok though
Silverstone Strider Gold 1200watt: noisy, nasty bubbly like sound from fan, coily whiny sound from back of psu
Enermax Revolution 85+ 920W: fine for a week and then odd clicking sound from fan

...and then, at last, giving up on high wattage and high end SLI/CF:
Seasonic X-760: ah bliss, quiet, no noise, nothing, happy *smiles* *tear*

All issues with the first three psu's are know. Avoid.

Just though Id let you all know my experiences as you all helped me out so much!

Arbutus

Re: What not to buy & what I ended up with

Post by Arbutus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

THANX for the feedback to the knowledge pool.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the input. It helped me to decide my new PSU: Seasonix X-560. It will be way more than enough to run my 2500K + 460 GTX super clocked. I was torn between Enermaxes, Corsairs and Seasonics. I had to give my old Corsair HX-620 to my brother who'se only computer's psu started to act as flame thrower (psu failed and started to spray sparks out of back). I got 3 computer's and a laptop so I could spare one. Besides its perfect excuse to upgrade my PSU what I've been looking to do ever since I got new Sandy Bridge.

yacoub

Post by yacoub » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:50 am

To add to the data: I had a Corsair HX-520 that was perfect in an Antec P150. No fan noise, no buzz, squeal, whine, or anything else.

Upgraded to an HX-650 with my current build, also perfect and silent in my P180 Mini.

Building a new Sandy Bridge box and looking for a Corsair VX450 (Seasonic built apparently) but it appears to be out of stock everywhere, perhaps due to be replaced with a newer model or something. So I may look at a Seasonic in the 400-450 watt range next. Looking at an Antec Two Hundred V2 for the case but open to suggestions.

chrisb71

Post by chrisb71 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:50 pm

I got a Seasonic x 650 the other day and it started making a horrible clicking noise as soon as the box started heating up. I'm going to be returning it tonight for a new one and hope that one does not. The noise is very faint, but it is high pitch and annoying.
I hope the new one works, everyone else seems to like theirs.

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:19 am

Good to see some more knowledge to the pool. I think PSU's are even harder to rate noisewise, as coile whine is almost never picked up in reviews. So it's good we all share :)

So far I am still delighted with the Seasonic X760!