Any PSU brand/model squeal free? (or close to it)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

wolfestone

Any PSU brand/model squeal free? (or close to it)

Post by wolfestone » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am

I've been through two PSU's in my new system, a 500w low-end coolermaster and now a corsair cx600 v2.

The coolermaster was dual rail, and could supply 18A per 12v rail. My video card calls for a power supply that can deliver 24A on the 12v rail. I feared this PSU wasn't up to the task and replaced it with the corsair cx600.

The corsair is plenty powerful (40A on the 12v rail) but it makes an awful high pitched squealing/whining sound when it's powered down.

I know it's the PSU, as the coolermaster one didn't make this noise. I'm now kind of concerned that this is going to be an ongoing and increasingly expensive problem, so I'm wondering if any manufacturers are particularly known for being less prone to this squealing effect?

Jim G

Re: Any PSU brand/model squeal free? (or close to it)

Post by Jim G » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 pm

We have two Seasonic X-560s here and neither make a squealing noise - I can't even tell if they're on at all by listening.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 pm

That's not normal behaviour, you should RMA the PSU for a replacement or refund.

wolfestone

Post by wolfestone » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 am

Thanks, I am returning this one for a refund. I thought about a replacement but from searching some forums other people are also having the same issue with this model.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

Squealing and other electronic noises are interactions between specific components, so it may not be the power supply per se, that is causing the noise.