Why is Corsair VX450 so hard to find for sale? Alternatives?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Post Reply
yacoub
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:49 pm

Why is Corsair VX450 so hard to find for sale? Alternatives?

Post by yacoub » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Are they about to replace it since it has been out for several years?

I am looking for something around 400 watts that is durable, actively cooled (120mm fan) but quiet, and a good bang for the buck.

The Corsair PSUs made by Seasonic fit that bill well for a decent price and good quality with generally strong efficiency and smooth loading.

Is there another brand/model you would recommend since it seems none of the major e-tailers sell that model anymore?

(I checked Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, MicroCenter, Fry's, etc).

Dr. Jim Pomatter
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:46 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Re: Why is Corsair VX450 so hard to find for sale? Alternati

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:17 am

yacoub wrote:I am looking for something around 400 watts that is durable, actively cooled (120mm fan) but quiet, and a good bang for the buck.

The Corsair PSUs made by Seasonic fit that bill well for a decent price and good quality with generally strong efficiency and smooth loading.

Is there another brand/model you would recommend since it seems none of the major e-tailers sell that model anymore?
Corsair stopped making/branding the vx450w about 9 months ago. I do not know why the ads for the power supply are still appearing here on SPCR. Perhaps the poor revenue performance of the SPCR site has something to do with this type of neglect.

If you still want the Corsair name on your power supply, you have 2 choices. You can go with the new "builder" series, but they use a louder fan and are built by CWT. You can also pay double the amount of money to get the TX750 V2.

If you are willing to give up the Corsair name, you can buy a low-end Seasonic. The down side is that Seasonic does not have the same high standard of quality control and product consistency that Corsair imposed.

Seasonic makes the "S12II" power supplies in 6 sizes, from 380 watts up to 629 watts. They are not too expensive, but they are not as cheap as the vx450w was.

I bought three VX450Ws when it became clear that nothing was going to replace them in the Corsair product line.
[size=75]Q9300 @ 3.0 (7.5 x 400 fsb) w/ Noctura NH-C12P (top-down 120 mm cooler, "blue" speed)
On: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P w/ SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB (@ 20% fan speed)
In: NZXT WHISPER w/ Lian Li BS03 120mm fan duct (required drilling thick steel)[/size]

dhanson865
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:20 am
Location: TN, USA

Re: Why is Corsair VX450 so hard to find for sale? Alternati

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:15 am

Dr. Jim Pomatter wrote: If you are willing to give up the Corsair name, you can buy a low-end Seasonic. The down side is that Seasonic does not have the same high standard of quality control and product consistency that Corsair imposed.

Seasonic makes the "S12II" power supplies in 6 sizes, from 380 watts up to 629 watts. They are not too expensive, but they are not as cheap as the vx450w was.

I bought three VX450Ws when it became clear that nothing was going to replace them in the Corsair product line.
As to the VX450 still being on SPCR, it's still on http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/n ... -psus.html as well. It appears Corsair is the one who hasn't bothered to update their marketing material.

It might be true that the vx450w was higher quality than a S12 was. I wouldn't say that all Seasonic PSUs are lower quality though.

The X series 560W would be head and shoulders above the quality of any corsair powersupply made before the X series debuted. The Corsair AX series is very similar but starts at 650W. Either would be a safe choice but both are obviously more expensive than the VX450 was.

The S12II Bronze replaces the old S12II and is more power efficient and is reviewed at http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... y&reid=185

compare it to the review from the VX450 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... y3&reid=64

and you'll see that the new S12II Bronze is better than the old VX450W. Time marches on. Grab the 520W version and you'll exceed the specs of the 450W in every possible way. Go for the 430W version and you save $5, might as well grab the 520W.
.
Please put a country in your profile if you haven't already.
This site is international but I'll assume you are in the US if you don't tell me otherwise.
RAID levels thread http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=388987

yacoub
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:49 pm

Re: Why is Corsair VX450 so hard to find for sale? Alternati

Post by yacoub » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Dr. Jim Pomatter wrote:If you still want the Corsair name on your power supply
Nope, more concerned with a high quality components in a power supply with 80+ efficiency for a good price. Corsair has been that for me on my past two builds, but I don't need 500+watts for this next one, and all of their high quality lines of PSUs seem to go no lower than 550w/650w.

Thanks for the input though, I may need to consider SeaSonic since they offer models in the right wattage range.

Post Reply