PSU in a tropical country?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

capoeira

PSU in a tropical country?

Post by capoeira » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:19 am

Now, you got a recomended list, a lot of reviews but how do PSU behave in higher temperatures?

I ordered a Antec Neo Eco 400 because of the following review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article753-page4.html
it shows thet SPL will increase after 200W, but how will this be in environments over 30° Celsius? Will the SPL increase at lower watts??????
Should I go for the 450 or 520 version, instead?

capoeira

Re: PSU in a tropical country?

Post by capoeira » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:39 am

I would apreciate some help on that. I already ordered the device and they probably ship it tomorrow. today I can still change my order.

please

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

IMO, the best way to deal with this is to use a case with a bottom mounted psu. This way, even if the ambient temperature reaches 40c, the psu will work well within spec and shouldn`t behave any worse than in the hot box tests done by SPCR, where the psu intake temperatures are probably even higher.

capoeira

Post by capoeira » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

ntavlas wrote:IMO, the best way to deal with this is to use a case with a bottom mounted psu. This way, even if the ambient temperature reaches 40c, the psu will work well within spec and shouldn`t behave any worse than in the hot box tests done by SPCR, where the psu intake temperatures are probably even higher.
thanks, I was looking for a PSU bottom mounted case. but here I only had the choice between 3 good cases, all top-mounted. So I allready orderd the CM Sileo (top). But your post made me realize that ambient temperature is only the passive factor, so lower the inner case temps could solve any diferences from SPCR tests.
I think I change my order from the 400w to the $450w device, as the price differs only $13

capoeira

Post by capoeira » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 am

to be able to run 4cores in the future, usb-powered mixing-tables and due to the warm climate I opted to pay the $19 extra for the 520w.
thanks to all, you are a great help.
Edit: Also less load of the PSU means longer life, doesn't it?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm

I'd aim for the PSU that is the most efficient/lowest thermal rise you can afford. The less self-heating the PSU has, the higher ambient it can handle before the fan kicks into high rpm. Look at the hot box tests for the PSUs reviewed here. That's probably comparable/worst case compared to what you might see.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Get a seasonic from the x650 or x660 family but one that comes with a fan. It will probably work without a fan. But if needed the fan will kick in.

capoeira

Post by capoeira » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

ces wrote:Get a seasonic from the x650 or x660 family but one that comes with a fan. It will probably work without a fan. But if needed the fan will kick in.
lol, couldn't find them here but they would probably cost more than $300

As mentioned, I already ordered the Antec Neo Eco 520.