PSU for 36+ hdd server

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Abula

PSU for 36+ hdd server

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Im in the process of updrading my server, while there the server wont be extremly close to me, and i wont suspend hdds, so noise isnt a huge deal, still ill be sometimes near the server so i would prefer if it ends as quiet as possible, the specs of the server atm are,

SUPERMICRO X9SCM-F
Intel Xeon E3-1230
Thermalright AXP-140
Kingston 4GB ECC DDR3 1333
Intel X25-M G2 120GB
2x IBM M1015
8x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB
6x Samsung HD154UI
Antec 1200
Antec CP-850

I just bought some hardware to upgrade my server

LIAN LI PC-D8000 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
8x Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

My antec 1200 can use the BTX Antec CP-850, but now the lian li wont be able to fit it (without some hard modding that i dont wish to do), im also looking for a platinum psu for efficiency. So right now im in the dilemma of choosing what PSU i will use on the server, the good thing is that the case is huge, and i have lots of fractal hdd cages that i can use in the future for adding more hdds, while today i dont have a need for more space with the upgrade to 4tb, i do think ill need more once 4k content start to get released, so i want to buy a PSU that will be able to grow with me when i start adding more hdds.

Checking unraid server forums, i found an interesting thread about PSU, The Power Supply Thread, quoting from it,
3. 2 amps (24 watts) per green drive and 3 amps (36 watts) per non-green drive on the 12 volt rail.
4. 5 amps (60 watts) for the motherboard on the 12 volt rail.

Initially the server will have 8x2tb Hitachi + 8x4tb Seagate + 4x1.5tb Samsung, using all 16 ports on the IBM 1015 and 4 sata II ports on the motherboard, ill use 1 sata III for OS SSD. So assuming the before, ill need at least 20x2 = 40 amps for hdd alone on startup + MB + CPU + HBAs, etc.

Now considering the future, i think i can get another 4x 3.5 hdd on the 3x 5.25 on one side, the other ill use for a fan controller and also has the font panel connectors (power, reset and usb) so one slot is free i might move the ssd there. But with some Fractal design cages that i have laying around i believe i can add another 12 hdds with some modding probably just some holes to secure the cages and maybe some hook on top to secure them to the chassis, so this will take me to 20+4+12 = 36hdd, thinking on the same numbers as the the thread above, 36x2 = 72 amps just for the hdds on startup + 2x ibm 1015 more and the rest of the above hardware. So i was looking for 80+ amp with single 12V rail. Here are the options in considering,

Seasonic PLATINUM-1000 ATX 1000 Power Supply (83A on the 12V rail)
No reviews from SPCR, but other similar models have been reviewed with all gotten editor choice and this is suppose to be their best PSU, only draw back is some people have reported coil/whine on platinum series PSU, i dont think it will matter much with so many hdds inside, i have had two x series (x400 and x660) and been perfect, this is the main reason im still considering other PSUs.

Kingwin LZP-1000 Lazer Platinum Series 80 Plus Platinum (83A on the 12V rail)
One of the first platinum PSU, was reviewed by SPCR and got editors choice also, Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt. Built by Superflower rebranded by Kingwin, the LZP has gotten really good reviews all over the big PSU sites, the only thing that its mention in a lot of them is no MOV, but it will be behind a Cyberpower 1500VA UPS so i don't think this would matter much. Seems Striker and LZPs are common among people wanting to avoid the buzz/whine on the seasonic PSU, although on user reviews, you still find some, not as much as the seasonics but still is not perfect.

There are other options, those two are the ones that i trust, out of SPCR have done reviews of them or similar PSUs, also been among the choices of many SPCR forum members, but there are other options that im considering like

ENERMAX Platimax EPM1000EWT (83A on the 12V rail)
I used to own a couple of enermax PSU, from the time that i only consider antec or enermax, they never even fail on me. But they dont shine out of their quietness like Seasonic and Superflower, and much more expensive than the two above.

SuperFlower SF-1000F14MP LEADEX Platinum Power Supply [1000W/ATX] (83.3A on the 12V rail)
This is probably among the best PSU out there, but its price is twice as much as kingwin.... not sure if its worth it.

Those are mainly what im looking at, but will consider any that you guys think it will fit the server needs. Please post your recommendations and specially which of the two you think would be a better buy, there is no budget, but i would prefer if it stays close to $200.
Last edited by Abula on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

washu

Re: PSU for 36+ hdd server

Post by washu » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Not that either of those are a bad choice, but I think those numbers are overestimating a bit.

My file server has the same number of drives as your "initial" config (20), two SSDs, similar system power plus an LSI RAID card and a SAS expander (about 20W each). It all ran fine on an Antec 450 W. I've since replaced the power supply with an X-560 Gold, but that was for efficiency and cable management, not capacity issues. Adding another 16 drives might stress the 560, but I don't think you would be into the 1000W range.

If you are really worried about startup surge then look into if your controllers and drives support staggered spin-up.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks for your reply,
washu wrote:Not that either of those are a bad choice, but I think those numbers are overestimating a bit.

If you are really worried about startup surge then look into if your controllers and drives support staggered spin-up.
Well i agree with you that i dont need 1000W or 80amps for running it its more the startup, atm my server idles 125W or so, with no hdd spin down but no load on them, thinking on 36hdd maybe ill be idling around 200W to 250W, not sure though, but thats what i think. The problem will be mostly on the startup, i have read some about the staggering, but its not like sure thing, some HBAs can on some hdds but wont in other... so idk if i should bet on this. I have a Seasonic G550 here atm that i was planning on selling but was also considering using it and until i move to more hdds to go into a higher end PSU, but i can probably sell it more atm since its un open and just invest an extra $100 on LZP 1000, idk thats what i was thinking.

Btw since you are running a SAS expander, do you think its a better route to go with an expander or quad ibm 1015 for reaching 32 sata ports?

washu

Post by washu » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Abula wrote:agree with you that i dont need 1000W or 80amps for running it its more the startup,
Well as I said, a 450W handled it just fine including startup, and I'm not using staggered spin up. My meter has a peak function and the most I saw was 380W from the wall, so about 300W on the lv side. It idles around 180W with no spin down, the RAID card and expander take their power toll.
Btw since you are running a SAS expander, do you think its a better route to go with an expander or quad ibm 1015 for reaching 32 sata ports?
I think 2 X IBM 1015 would be lower power than the SAS expander, but that is just a semi-educated guess. However, since I am actually using the RAID functionality of my LSI 9260 it's very convenient to have all the drives show up together. In theory mutliple cards would give you more bandwidth, but unless you were running all SSDs I don't think it would be an issue. I've benched all 20 drives together and there is no slowdown over the single 24 gbit link.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm

Running that many drives, I'd rather error on the side of caution with a beefy psu. I think both of your choices are perfect, it's all preference at this point. I think both have a fanless mode as well by my recollection.