140 mm long PSU, non-modular, quiet?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Mats

140 mm long PSU, non-modular, quiet?

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:55 pm

(Jump to the bold text if you don't want to read it all.)

I'm interested in buying a Raijintek Metis case. Combined with a 140 mm long PSU it would be possible to use longer graphics cards than advertised (> 170 mm).
My current GTX 660 TI is actually 170 mm long, but I want to choose a PSU that fits with longer cards, just to be more future proof.
I'm using a 2600K with a Thermalright AXP-140 and a Arctic F12 PWM, 8 GB RAM, one SSD and one 2.5" HDD. I'd like to have some headroom for overclocking, nothing extreme tho.

I dont have an (apparent) silent environment, a low humming or whooshing PSU fan when not playing games is alright. My computer isn't silent anyway, but it can be made really quiet though. It will be placed under my desk.
I'm prepared to modify the case or the PSU if needed in the future (maybe also for GPU intake), but a 140 mm PSU is a must (like the Cooler Master V S in the picture).
Metis.jpg
The first choice would be a Seasonic G-360, but I'd like some extra power. Unfortunately, the bigger G's are 160 mm long, and the same goes for the P and X series

The S12G's actually looks like bigger versions of G-360, but they're too noisy. Antec Truepower Classic seems like a S12G to me, not sure tho.

Be quiets newer models are usually too long, and are made by Fortron, a step down in quality from Seasonic.

There are also some SFX models like the 600 W and more likely the upcoming 500 W models from Silverstone, but the build quality isn't that good and I prefer an ATX if possible.

There are some semi-modular PSUs that could fit, but the question is if they're qiuet enough. Cooler Master V550S is one of those, made by Enhance. The 750 W model got the highest build quality score at jonnyguru.com. The Yate Loon DB12BH-12 runs at 650 rpm up to 50 % load, which sounds pretty good if it wasn't for the fact that I have no idea what that fan sounds like. Yate Loon has a good reputation, but it's still a ball bearing fan at 650 rpm.

There are also some other similar semi modular PSUs from Corsair and others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In short, what I'm looking for: 140 mm long, non modular or semi modular, 5 year warranty, about 500 W, 24 + 8 pin ATX, 6 + 6 pin PCIE or better, high quality with decent capacitors (rated 105° C where expected), quiet up to 100 W at least

QUESTIONS:

1 - Any comments on the Cooler Master V550S, or the noise of the Yate Loon DB12BH-12 running at 650 rpm? Noise quality?

2 - Is there any Seasonic-made model I've missed? Maybe some of their own OEM models?

3 - Any other PSU I should look into? Are there semi passive PSU's I have missed?
(Don't think it's the right thing for this case, it's better with a slow spinning fan.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lodestar

Re: 140 mm long PSU, non-modular, quiet?

Post by lodestar » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:46 pm

Mats wrote:...The S12G's actually looks like bigger versions of G-360, but they're too noisy.
Not sure where you got this info from. AnandTech's review of the 650w S12G suggests otherwise as do the PC Perspective and KitGuru reviews of the 750w version. The Adda ball bearing fan fitted to the S12G is the same type as Seasonic fit to the Seasonic G series, and their venerable M12 and S12 Bronze line of PSUs.

Vaski

Post by Vaski » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:10 am

What about Nexus Value 430? It is only 125 mm long
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Nexus_Value_430

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:44 am

Mats wrote:1 - Any comments on the Cooler Master V550S, or the noise of the Yate Loon DB12BH-12 running at 650 rpm? Noise quality?

There's at least a recent comment of an end user about the V450S in the forum, but I doesn't recall in which thread it is: anyway, I remember it was favourable.
From the published figures, I expect that at least the V450S should be quieter than any S12G, and it should have a wider quiet operating range (if you compare the G 550 with the V550S on TPU, this latter have a quiet range twice larger): anyway, given its high speed fan, it's possible that it can ramp up very noticeably in a hot environment, as well the Seasonic usually does (so I hope it could freely breath from outside).

Mats wrote:2 - Is there any Seasonic-made model I've missed? Maybe some of their own OEM models?

The Antec True Power Classic could have a slightly more relaxed fan profile than the S12G (it should ramp up a bit less steep than the original Seasonic), but all in all it's comparable.
Then there's XFX TS-series, whose fan should stay under 800rpm up to 40% of the rated power (but at 25°C ambient), but there are no serious (noise wise) review around up to now.
Here you will find a subjective comparison between the Antec and the VS-M: this latter seem to be quieter.

Mats wrote:3 - Any other PSU I should look into? Are there semi passive PSU's I have missed?[/b] (Don't think it's the right thing for this case, it's better with a slow spinning fan.)

There are some more or less quiet 140mm units (Corsair-Great Wall CS-M, Cooler Master-CWT GM, BeQuiet!-FSP System 7, Fractal Design-ATNG Tesla R2) but no one sports the same build quality of either the Enhance-based VS-M, or the Seasonic G-platform and its derivatives.
Of about a rather good quality there's the 140mm Enermax Triathlor FC, which is also modular: while the fan spin at a comfortable 600rpm on low loads, unfortunately it's rather loud past the 250W mark, and above all it's EOL (they switched from their own Impervio factory to CWT outsourcing, reorganizing the entire lineup). They are supposed to be replaced by the newer Triathlor ECO, but I've no info about those latter.

lodestar wrote:Not sure where you got this info from. AnandTech's review of the 650w S12G suggests otherwise

I would avoid anything Fylladitakis have to say about noise and perception: a guy who said that «"A" in "dB(A)" stands for "acoustic"», and that «People cannot decide "if the sound is good or not" by looking at a spectral profiles in a review», and eventually that «an audio recording has no practical meaning over me simply stating how the unit "sounds like" in the text.» probably has no idea about either what SPCR folks are looking for, or how and why MikeC and SPCR works.

vaski wrote:What about Nexus Value 430? It is only 125 mm long
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Nexus_Value_430

It's not an high quality PSU (as the OP required), and above all it's EOL (so usually rather hard to find one).
Last edited by quest_for_silence on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am

lodestar wrote:Not sure where you got this info from.
I've seen several posts about noisy S12G's here. It may look a lot like the G-360, and the fan model is the same as in some other Seasonics, but the difference is the fan controller.

New S12G-550 louder than 3 year old stock video card

550 W customer review from newegg:
Cons: Loud. The fan, even at idle, makes a scratchy/buzzy noise that can be heard across the room

The flat cables are difficult to route, and difficult to rotate

Other Thoughts: Based on reviews, the fan doesn't even kick up to 500RPM until there is a hefty load on it, but it is much louder than my last several PSUs, all of which have been either S12, S12II, or rebranded S12II platform PSUs. For the cost, I expected much better noise characteristics, and not to have a nightmare of cable routing..

Manufacturer Response:

Hi, I am sorry to read about your experience with the fan noise. Please note the S12G series have a more conservative fan curve meaning it will be kick in earlier to keep the PSU cool. If you wish to have less noise from the fan, then please have a look at our X or P series where the fan control curve is more aggressive.

As for the cabling, it is possible the cables when cold, will be stiffer. Please use a hair dryer and warm up the cables before the installation process. This should help your system build process. Thank you.
Vaski wrote:What about Nexus Value 430? It is only 125 mm long
Not available, and it's successor isn't available either. The quality is also a concern.

quest_for_silence: Thanks, I'm leaning towards the V550SM, seems like a solid product. I Posted in the thread I think you meant.
I think I'm going to buy the case first, and then I'll decide which PSU to get.
Last edited by Mats on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:13 am

Yes, that's it: and it's less recent than how much I recalled.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 am

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:09 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:They are supposed to be replaced by the newer Triathlor ECO, but I've no info about those latter.
I found a Triathlor ECO 450 review on ComputerBase.de: summarizing, if I haven't misunderstood, that series looks made of insignificant and rather loud PSUs, which doesn't worth a second look.

ComputerBase.de again did a fair review on the V450S: that's the automatic translation but you need to look at the original one to see all the dynamic data.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks, I realize I've seen that review. I don't like the conclusion, it gets an average score for the fan noise, and the fan rattles.

Gleitlager in german, which is glidlager in swedish, gets translated to plain bearing in english by google, instead of sleeve bearing.
Now I see that there's a different fan used in the V450S, the D12SH-12.

Which bearing type would make the most unpleasent noise at low speed? I thought it would be the ball bearing.
The fan in the PSU would be placed vertically so in theory I could use a sleeve bearing fan, but there's no point if it rattles...

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 pm

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Mats wrote:Gleitlager in german, which is glidlager in swedish, gets translated to plain bearing in english by google, instead of sleeve bearing.

If you use a german-to-swedish translation, use it just as a double check of a german-to-english one, because usually Google Translator is worst when any language is different from english.

Mats wrote:Now I see that there's a different fan used in the V450S, the D12SH-12.

You may check which fan is used into the Cooler Master G450M or G550M (although those are an overall inferior build quality PSUs), as those units should be even quieter than the VS-M ones.

Mats wrote:Which bearing type would make the most unpleasent noise at low speed? I thought it would be the ball bearing.

It depends: I heard quiet but still a bit annoying ball bearing fans (like the one in the Seasonic M12D), and sleeve fans with really terrible bearing noise (like several 120mm Cooler Master and Thermalright PWM ones), so definitely I can't help about.
If you want a surely good sounding fan, you have to lean towards be quiet! PSUs, but their units are not that well built (and often with a more than 140mm depth).

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:32 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:If you use a german-to-swedish translation, use it just as a double check of a german-to-english one, because usually Google Translator is worst when any language is different from english.
It was a comment on your german - english translation link, just to point out what they meant with plain bearing. Google gets it right with the german - swedish version.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Mats wrote:Google gets it right with the german - swedish version.

Nice to hear that from you: unfortunately german-to-italian is really terrible.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:55 am

Mats wrote:I've seen several posts about noisy S12G's here.

ComputerBase published a review of the Antec Edge 550W, supposedly the quietest version around of the current Seasonic G platform: the reviewer however pointed out a relatively nasty sound signature (bearing noise, chattering), so I've asked him about that and a subjective comparison with the original Seasonic G he already reviewed (both the G and the S12G).
That's his short answer.

pod03

Post by pod03 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 pm

I posted a mini review of the V450S in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66569 - I have had no problems since and have not heard the fan. It is a shame that there have not been more reviews of this series including by SPCR. There is one of the 450 model in Greek by the same author as http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V550S/. Beyond that it would be nice for others on this forum to post their view.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Thank you both for your replies. It remains to be seen if I buy one because I'm not so sure about the case anymore.