Computer blows PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

JEN

Computer blows PSU

Post by JEN » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:15 am

About a week ago, my PSU packed in! I had this PSU for 1 year, it was 300w. I ordered a new PSU (400w), and for some reason is also packed in, but only after 10 minutes of use!

Now I am thinking, there is something not right about my computer, which might have been the reason why the first PSU packed up, and why the second PSU also packed up only after 10 minutes.

Has anyone ever experienced this before, and does anyone know why a computer would kill the PSU?

Or was it just coincidence, that the second PSU just happened to be faulty

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:06 am

you didn't mention what brand or model these PSU were..

If they were of questionable quality, then I would not be surprised, and I would blame the PSUs

Also, you may have poor quality power coming from the electric company, you might want to invest in a UPS which can do line conditioning or AVR

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:14 am

Are you sure nothing is shorting the motherboard/PSU?

fetaost

Post by fetaost » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:14 am

Do you have fans running at 7 volts using the "+12 and +5 volt"-trick? I've heard that it could damage your PSU.

JEN

Post by JEN » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:50 am

@ Harry Azol - The first PSu was the 1 which came with the cheap atx case, and the second 1 was a qtec 400w PSU.

@ POLIST8 - This is what I don't know, how am I supposed to find out?

@ fetaost - No, no tricky fan business going on in my computer :)

Cool J

Post by Cool J » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:40 am

what in the world is a qtec? sounds like q-tip to me and i dont want a q-tip trying to power my computer.

UrbanVoyeur

Post by UrbanVoyeur » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:47 am

are you blowing fuses or actually buring out power supplies? you will have to open the PSU and check the fuse to find out.

I would check any power cable extensions or splitters you might be using for sign of wear that would produce a short.

also could be a faulty device - floppy or MB that is shorting out the PSU.

Doomer

Post by Doomer » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:58 am

Cool J wrote:what in the world is a qtec? sounds like q-tip to me and i dont want a q-tip trying to power my computer.
Q-Tec power supplies are very low quality ones and I guess they have chosen that name because it's often mixed up with Q-Technology PSU's.

JEN

Post by JEN » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:08 am

I seem to have a really strange problem with my PC. For some reason it keeps turning off randomly? I thought it was the PSU, so I got another and I the problems still there!

When the PC goes off, I am unable to switch it back on by pressing the case power button! I have to unplug it from the mains, plug it back in, and then I can turn it on by pressing the case power button.

Why is this happening, any ideas would be appreciated.

Cool J

Post by Cool J » Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:07 pm

JEN wrote:I seem to have a really strange problem with my PC. For some reason it keeps turning off randomly? I thought it was the PSU, so I got another and I the problems still there!

When the PC goes off, I am unable to switch it back on by pressing the case power button! I have to unplug it from the mains, plug it back in, and then I can turn it on by pressing the case power button.

Why is this happening, any ideas would be appreciated.

when that has happened to me it was usually a short somewhere. maybe a motherboard riser is touching something. try taking the motherboard out of the case and running it.